cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow down at peak hours

David_W
Rising Star

Slow down at peak hours

As JoJo suggested starting a new thread, my speeds during peak hours are poor, as if I am on level 1 management when I'm not.  Level 1 management generally means unusable internet for anything other than the basics.  Off peak my speeds are fine, I can stream HD, download at full whack but between 4pm-midnight I cannot.
I was sure it was to do with the recent hardware failure at PlusNet but JoJo said it doesn't seem to be so, here we go! Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow down at peak hours

Hi David W,
I've just checked your traffic management profile and that is corrrect. Your exchange, however is showing an Amber VP which states...
[quote=VPcheck]BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.
At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected.
I will email BT for you and see if we can get anymore information about when they intend to upgrade.
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

My exchange has been amber for months, it's only now (since the hardware fault) that I'm getting slow peak rate speeds.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi David W,
the issue the other day wasn't affecting speed test results but certain traffic. Are you getting slow results from speed tests or just poor downloads from certain traffic?
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

My current speed:

I can download from Microsoft at...
directx_9c_Apr05sdk_redist.exe 403 kB/s - 3.1 MB of 33.4 MB, 1 min left
At 4PM my speed from MS will drop down to 10-20kB/s, I couldn't use the same file I was in the other thread, I downloaded it in seconds.  I'll rerun the speed check after 4PM, I *think* the speedtester will still be a good figure but the MS speed will bottom out.
/edit
4PM and different file:
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe 15.9 kB/s - 135 kB of 2.5 MB, 2 mins left
Speedtest:

So yeah, looks like at 4PM my whole speed drops off sharply (4PM being when my peak hours start)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi David W,
I've had the email back and they say your circuit is not affected. I've checked everything I can think of. I'm just picking one of the senior faults guys brain now to see what we can come up wtih.
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Cheers JoJo, though you should go home and prepare for Santa Claus to visit tomorrow Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi David W,
I am at home actually Wink
We've found an inconsistency with your profile and I have escalated this to be rectified. I have created a ticket for this which you can view.
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks JoJo, have a good Christmas Cheesy
mmcilroy
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I'm having the exact same problems as David. My speeds are much worse during peak times though. I've been getting 0.1Mbps download between 4pm and 12pm the past 3 evenings. Could you check my profile to see if I have the same problem please?
Thanks,
Mark
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mmacilroy,
I have addressed your issue here.
Jojo Smiley