Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

iabbott
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Slow broadband

My Mum has plusnet broadband and whilst it has never been amazingly fast (she is a couple of miles from the exchange), recently the upload speed has dropped to almost zero (she gets about 3mb down and just 0.59 up. Ping 27). Unfortunately she can't get fibre, as her local cabinet is full. I have contacted openreach last year and also last month but they are not able to let me know when fibre will be available. 

I'm sure she used to get around 1mb upload, so I'm not sure why it has dropped so low. She uses an ethernet connection and the router is connected to the master socket, with no other telephone extensions in the house.

I've run tests on https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

and there doesn't appear to be any faults, although it thought that the max achieveable upload was 0.83.

Does anyone have any suggestions to either improve her current speed or to try and pursuade openreach to upgrade her cabinet?

3 REPLIES 3
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Re: Slow broadband

Hi @iabbott

I am sorry to hear that. Can you please send me Private Message with her username so I will be able to test her line and check history of her speeds in past few weeks? Based on results of test we should be able to establish next step.

For future reference - You are able to check fibre availability here

-Piotr

iabbott
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks - I'll send you a PM

amiedy

The same problem since week