cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

stevesilk1957

Slow broadband

I recently joined plusnet and my broadband download speed was between 5-7 mbs but it has dropped to just over 2 mbs. i am connecting through a ethernet cable but it is the same speed on wifi. Very slow, i have changed the wifi channel but it has not made any difference. I have also had my router plugged into the main test socket as i was having problems with the internet dropping. I have checked all the cables and equipment and think the dropping out could have been caused by the poor rainy weather because i have since moved my router back to the other phone socket and have had no drop outs and no rain  but the speed is very slow. Ive just moved from Sky and was getting between 8-10 mbs on the same line so can anyone please help.

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow broadband

@stevesilk1957 Welcome to the forums. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.Sight of the HelpDesk page, under the Troubleshooting tab on your router homepage - with personal information redacted - is very useful.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

It may be an idea to also report your lines capabilities - please post your results from THIS site, but ensure your phone number is obscured/hidden, and BTW Performance Tester - Please report the 'Additional Diagnostics'.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
stevesilk1957

I did a noise check I don't know what you mean by any discerning noise. There was a slight hiss but nothing major. My speeds are the same whether from WIFI or connected by ethernet 2.6mbs. I'm not sure about the other thing you requested its difficult for me as I am partially sighted and disabled but I am trying and need all the help I can get.

jab1
Legend

OK @stevesilk1957 , I understand it will be difficult for you in that situation, but if Community members are to help, we do need to have an idea as to how your connection is performing (and why), and the only way we can see is by having those details in front of us.

It is possible that one of the Plusnet Help Team will pick this up and carry out some checks to try and identify your problem, but that could take some time.

John
stevesilk1957

should i be doing all these test with my router plugged into the test socket or any socket?

jab1
Legend

Initially you can do them plugged into the normal socket but preferably over an ethernet, rather than wireless connection, if possible.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Pleasure talking to you on the phone this evening @stevesilk1957

As discussed, we've adjusted the DLM profile on the line to improve your speeds, however this might have an adverse affect on the stability of your connection. If this is the case, we'll be raising a fault with Openreach as a High Resistance Imbalance has been detected. I'll review your connection as a whole on Monday to see how you've got on over the weekend and will be in touch. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
stevesilk1957

Well thanks for replying Adam just thought I would give you an update on the situation. Today is Sunday 29/08 and my router is constantly dropping out and the speed is very poor between 3-4 mbs. It was the same yesterday, not good for much and very frustrating as my wife had to cancel her video call from work and I was supposed to start homeworking  with the NHS on vaccine programme which has now had to be cancelled as my internet is too unreliable. Shame because not many people want to employ someone visually impaired but as the saying goes chin up and always look on the bright side it will get sorted one day😀

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @stevesilk1957, I'm really sorry that the drops in your service and for the inconvenience this has cause to yours and your Wife's work.

Adam is off shift today but I have logged the fault with our suppliers for you so we can get this progressed. If you can please get back to us on the ticket here, we can get that picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team