cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

heknip1983

Slow broadband

Hi,
My bb speed has been painful for the last 2 weeks. There was an issue with the line but Open reach said they fixed it.
My telephone line doesn't have a constant dial tone but works fine, the noise test is also fine.
I am connected directly to the master socket and followed all guides on here. Also tried 2 microfilters.
My line speed according to plusnet is 0.2
BTW results show line is fine but DL speed of 0.22 and ul of 0.77, upstream rate IP profile 0.83.
Sagemcom Router itself states:
Data rate 916/283
Max data rate 916/4464
Noise margin 6.1/6.2
Line attenuation 33.8/55.0
Not sure where the issue is, it was fine until 2 weeks ago but doing anything has been near impossible for 2 weeks on the BB.
Any suggestions? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Slow broadband

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Can you please post the full set of information from the 3 sources.
The router stats look odd - the data rate is depressingly low, yet the MAX rate looks very good for the line's attenuation.  Sight of the error counts might indicate why the synch speed is so low.
The partial BTw speed test results posted omit key information (DS IP profile).

The non "constant dial tone" is disconcerting - exactly what do you mean?  Does the dial tone 'warble'?  Is it possible that you have Voicemail (1571) set and you have a waiting message?  See http://www.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml#howToUse
BT call this service "BT Call Minder - their help page says...
Quote from: http
You'll know there's a new message in your mailbox because of the stutter dial tone on the line.

If you do not have this feature then the strange dial tone need checking out - it could indicate a fault with the line - BTOR's claim of a fix can only be for faults they could detect and locate on the day of their visit.  A BTOR line check is only as good as a car MOT - it was alright on the day tested - it is not an assurance that the vehicle (the line) is sound!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It looks like your connection speed has become chronically banded due to the drops below.

Normally we would recommend working through our online troubleshooter but due to maintenance it's down until 5pm.
I'd recommend going through the steps Townman advised you on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
heknip1983

Thanks guys really appreciate the advice. Just deleted the voicemail messages so the dial tone is now steady.
The drops in connection are due to it going down itself and me changing filters etc.
Can you explain what you mean by banding?
I'll rerun the searches later and post my findings
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Banding is an extream action of the BT line management system which caps the maximum speed at which a connection will be established.  It is consequential to actual or apparent line instability.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

heknip1983

Thanks, so it could be a hangover from when the line itself was going down several times a day before the openwork engineer 'fixed' the line? Does this self right if the line doesn't drop?
heknip1983

Results attached, let me know if I've missed anything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Over to CRT.  Remove banding / perform a SNRM reset?

heknip1983

Thanks for your help townman Smiley Should I phone them or will admin complete these tasks?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Testing your line now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Line reset, profile now at 3900.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
heknip1983

Thanks Chris but line speed is still 0.2 mb, that's after router reset
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Can you try it now?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
heknip1983

3.9 mb now. Thanks for your help
heknip1983

Speed check still shows 0.2 download though Cry