cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

mattyboy7110

Slow broadband

Hi,
I'm supposed to be getting 8Mb/sec or near enough but only have 2-3Mb/sec.
The line went active on Friday so I would have thought it would have changed upwards by now.
Is someone able to look into this for me?
Thanks,
Matthew Green
9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow broadband

Our tests aren't showing any particular faults but your speeds should be higher.
Is the router connected to the master socket (The first phone socket in your property)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mattyboy7110

It's not, I can move it if you think it will help.
The router is synching at 6Mb/s just the speed isn't there.
How long after moving it should I see an improvement?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If you could move it that would be a massive help.
Your sync speeds have been varying and because of the exchange technology your on it can take up to 72 hours for the speeds to pick up.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can you please look at the speed issues thread (see below) and post the results here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattyboy7110

I've got the results of the various tests:
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 1.0 20.0
Attenuation (dB) 2.5 1.5
Output Power (dBm) 7.9 12.2
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 4032 1012
Rate (Kbps) 4000 448
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.34 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.5 Mbps
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-09-14 12:06:42
Current line speed:
3.5 Mb
My house is opposite the cabinet. I notice BT has revised their speed estimates now to say I would get up to 4.5Mb/s which is rubbish compared to what I was told when I joined of nearly 8Mb/s.
I've requested an upgrade to fibre and an engineer booked for Monday (if Plusnet haven't cancelled it again) but currently the internet is unusable for streaming and it would be nice if it were sorted.
cedlor
Grafter

Is that with the router connected by cable ( and filter if required) to the test socket?
If you only went live on 11/9  and there is 10 days training  the router should really have been left on and not disconnected at all in that time.
If you have been switching it off or moving between main socket /extension socket/ or test socket  chances are these have been picked up as faults which has increased your  SNR margin to a whacking 20db
and reduced the line speed.
I doubt if Plusnet will be able to increase your speed before the change over to Fibre.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@cedlor,
That 'whacking 20dB' is US and is (for the line) fine.  Cool
@Matty,
Do you live in the telephone exchange?  That attenuation suggests that your phone line is only 200m long.  Is that correct?
I would suspect an issue with the d-side wires or those within your home.  In moving the router to the master sicket, did you remove the lower face plate and connect into the test socket?  If not can you please do so and redo the stats.  Also look at the wires connected to the back of the faceplate - number of, colour and terminal numbers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattyboy7110

The BT Exchange and cabinet are outside my house. My sync speed seems to have increased to about 6.5Mb/s, although my profile doesn't appear to have adjusted yet.
As for my move to fibre today - it was cancelled. Plusnet have messed me about so much, I would never recommend them to anyone ever again.
Now another 2 week wait before I can work properly at home, that's assuming they've done it right this time.
Really not looking forward to telling my son that he's not getting fibre today - or my boss!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Given that you are so close to the exchange, there is every possibility that there is an issue on your d-side circuit, which will still be used after the switch to FTTC.
Do you have the reason for the cancellation?  Was the cause within PlusNet's control or was it a BTOR resource issue?