cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speeds - ticket #39301654

pamandgoags

Slow broadband speeds - ticket #39301654

Hi there, can someone look into ticket #39301654 for me please?
I'm suffering from slow broadbands speeds and have done since joining Plusnet at the start of January.
I've tried all the info on the troubleshooting pages - tried different routers, microfilters and cables (only have one telephone socket). Interleaving turmed on by PN in an attempt to try and stablize my connection as it kept dropping and i've monitored my connection over the last couple weeks as suggested. I have also upgraded the routers firmware to 8.2.7.8.
Unfortunately none of this has helped and I have yet to get over 0.46mb/s download and 0.36mb/s upload speeds.
Are there any other suggestions or is there a problem elsewhere?
Cheers, Gordon
15 REPLIES 15
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Slow broadband speeds - ticket #39301654

Have the drop-outs continued since interleaving turned on?
Do you have ADSL Line stats from your router? Look for figures such as Upload / Download (are your figures from the router or a speed test?), attenuation and Noise margin, or SNR margin.
Also, what does the BT checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome advise for your line?
pamandgoags

Hi there,
Drop outs have occurred a couple of times since interleaving has been turned on but not nearly as bad as it was. I never had these problems when I was with Plusnet previously or even with O2....
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 988 / 1,632
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 1,152
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 52.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 2.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 196,655 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 58,496 / 3,887,395
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,331 / 12,660
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 25 / 5,877
BT checker comes back with.....
''Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.''
I've been doing the speed test via Plusnet, BT and Speedtest.net and all are coming back pretty close to each other – nothing over 0.46mb/s though.
MrToast
Grafter

With a down stream attenuation of  52dB you should sync at around 4Mbps.
Looks like you have a lot of errors and a low SNR margin.
What does the phone sound like? Maybe a noisy line. Seems to me thats the area to look.
pamandgoags

how can I go about reducing the number of errors or increasing the SNR margin?
Phone line isn't noisy but i'm looking into to to rule it out.
pamandgoags

Ran BT check on the line and its came back as clear, no problems.
Still waiting on an 'official' response to the ticket raised on the Plunet main site....can someone look into this please?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pamandgoags,
Do you have a test socket?
Jojo Smiley
pamandgoags

Hey Jojo,
I've spoken to Plusnet Technical Help over the phone this evening as when returned home from work there was no internet connection at all.
Got that problem resolved however it appears that there are a lot of errors on the line so connection keeps dropping and so can't get any decent speed and something about conical banding (?). THe guy on the other end ran some line tests and couldn't solve it so he's moved my ticket into the priority section for a quicker response hopefully. Might need to have an engineer sent out to check the lines / exchange etc
And i don't have a test socket  Smiley
pamandgoags

Quick update: I think there must be something well and truly goosed with my connection. Had no internet connection (broadband light remains on a constant state of flashing) other than a brief 20minute spell last night from approx. 7.30pm onwards and there's nothing at all this morning either....great!
Will need to get back on the phone after work try get something working!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pamandgoags,
Let me know how the engineer's visit goes.
Jojo Smiley
pamandgoags

yeah will do jojo,
Seen i've got no internet connection at all at the minute (had nothing over the last 36hours - except a brief 10-15min spell maybe), is there anything i can do in the meantime to get the connection back? I've tried restarting the router and the computer but nothings working and i'm trying to avoid phoning Plusnet every10-15mins when the connection goes.....
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pamandgoags,
The only thing I can suggest is try a new cable between the router and the filter, try a new filter, make sure you're in the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
pamandgoags

Update:
I'm losing connection to telephone exchange by the looks of it. If I use the house phone line to phone another number, connection to telephone exchange is fixed and broadband returns if only for a short while before connection is lost with the exchange again.
Anyone any ideas or ill the problem be fixed when the engineer visits?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pamandgoags,
I would imagine the engineer should be able to resolve this. Let me know what happens.
Jojo Smiley
pamandgoags

Ok, time for an update....
Had the engineer visit this morning and after almost 3hours of testing etc but problem remains. No sooner than he had left with the connection working, it dropped!
Plusnet say they need to wait till they receive the engineers notes before they can do anything but according to the engineer, there are no problems from BT's side of things.
What I have noticed now though when the internet connection drops, its the broadband light on the router that goes out before the internet connection light goes out whereas previously it was the other way round.
It also transpires that our telephone line can support speeds of 20mb but we are on a 2mb circuit so it would be physically impoosible for us to reach the estimated speed potential of the line, even if we stayed next door to the exchange! Can someone provide details of how to potentially have the circuit changed to a 20mb circuit?
Gordon