cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband since sunday

piphall01

Slow broadband since sunday

hi,
I been following the broadband service status, reassuring myself that it's PN as i never had any speed issues. However my speed seems really slow - 3168 kps and upload of 224 kps. Ive read some of the other entries and think its a problem PN's end. It's taking around 10 sec to load the Google seach page...
Not sure what to do, i cant get my router to another socket. So just wondered if PN could do some checking there end...
Really not very tec minded, so please bear with me.
many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow broadband since sunday

Hi piphall01,
Sorry I missed your post this afternoon. I'll do some checks for you now and see what I can find out.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi piphall01,
Your sync speed is 4320k which gives a profile of 3500k. \the reason this isn't higher is because your SNR is 13dB. Ideally it would be 6dB so that will be reducing your sync rate and in turn your speed profile. I would suggest looking here for some tips on how to rectify this.
Jojo Smiley
piphall01

hello Jojo,
Thanks for checking. I moved my computer (eMac) downstairs to the main socket as recommended by the tips you linked to. However it is the same, just as slow.  I've also replaced all the micro filters, no change.
I haven't got another router to test...
Anything else you could look into for me?
thanks again Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI piphall0,
The speed will not change, it's the sync rate that will. If you can confirm you're still in the test socket I can run some checks and let you know what's what.
Jojo Smiley
piphall01

hi,
Unfortunately I'm not in the test socket. Although, after some (slow) web browsing i looked up DNS settings and gave PS a ring, the guy suggested i could try Google's DNS. So i goggled it,  replaced it with 8.8.8.8 and it's far quicker...i have no idea what this all means
What do you think ? Smiley
The speed test hasn't changed...still 3168 kbps - which ive always had. can it really be as simple as tapping in 8.8.8.8?