cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband after 14 days

Mbdxjha4

Slow broadband after 14 days

I have the broadband for 14 days and I have just received an email from Plusnet stating that the average speed is 6. However, I having difficulties watch any Facebook videos. It takes about 10 minutes to watch a 1 min video!
5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Slow broadband after 14 days

Hi @Mbdxjha4

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your connection and can see that you're currently syncing up at around 9.3mb/s which is slightly lower than your estimate, but above your minimum speed by some distance.

Could you please plug your router into the test socket as shown below and then perform a speed test on a device that is connected via a wired connection, letting us know the results?

Test socket info here:

Best wishes

Dave

Mbdxjha4

Sorry I don’t have a wired device to test the speed. I had test it via phone and it was slow (see attached). I was with EE before switching to Plusnet and never had a similar problem.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Mbdxjha4, it's no worries if you don't have a wired device to test it just means this could be a underlying issue with the connection and on top of that wireless interference giving the poor speeds you're seeing. I'd advise from here if you set the router up in the optimal set-up advised by my colleague and shown below this will rule out a number of things which could be behind the speed issues you're seeing. I'm certain there is a underlying issue somewhere given the mass amount of errors we are seeing on the connection shown on the connection details below which very easy could skew the speeds you're seeing on devices as opposed to what we are registering getting to the router.

Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 12.3 23.5
SNR Margin: 5.8 7.6
Errored Seconds: 2 127
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 49571 925195
Speed: 952 9440

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 6816 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5452
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 0 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 0
Indicative Line Quality: B Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 0

To plug the router in the optimal set up you'd need to put the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the connection improves. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

(If you could drop us a reply whilst in this set-up we can re-test from this side for improvement given wired devices aren't available.)

Once we get to the bottom of what's causing the errored seconds and get that resolved if you're still seeing poor speeds on wireless devices then we can be certain wireless interference is also at play in or around the property and we can advise steps on how to best optimize the wireless settings.

Mbdxjha4

Thabks for your response. It is connected to the test socket now.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Mbdxjha4, thanks for your post.

Now that you're in the test socket, we'd like for you to monitor the connection for the next day or so so that we can get a good reading of what's going on.

I'll personally run further testing in the morning for you and add a further response when I have an update for you.