cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow and hanging at times?

Surfer
Grafter

Slow and hanging at times?

We are on fibre up to the box down the road and assume it is via copper to the home.  We have the fastest fibre product with Plusnet, but I am not sure if the issue is with the router, the browser or even the Dell Inspiron 5 laptop.

At times if I go onto a website, the website can take ages to load, but at other times it is as quick as a flash.  Testing the download speed always seems to average about 74mbps and 21mbps upload.  At other times all I get is a totally white screen above the taskbar and it can hang like that for almost a minuted before loading the page. Weirdly I see the page load, then it has a white out and after awhile the page loads again.  Only seems to happen on 2 - 3 different unrelated websites.

I normally use wifi, but due to the above issues and now have it directly connected to the router which is a BT Business router and not the Plusnet router which went faulty a long time ago.  Up to about 2 -3 months ago I did not have any issues with web pages loading, but now it is getting more frequent and annoying.

I am not sure where to start as a bit of a novice at repairing this type of issue?  Any advice would be welcomed.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow and hanging at times?

Hi there!

I'm really sorry to see your connection's pretty sluggish. I've tested your line and the tests are showing things are in tip top shape with your router getting a download speed of 79.9mbps and upload of 20mbps. 

Do you happen to have another device you could try? Just to rule out an issue with your laptop. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

Unfortunately I do not have another router that I could try.  I am beginning to suspect it is an issue with FF loading the page.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Surfer I  suspect what @Gandalf means is - do you have a phone/tablet/other PC you could try. If your connection speed/stability is as high as has been reported, it does rather point towards your laptop - or it could just possibly be a routing issue, although I doubt it, given that no  other reports of this issue have been seen.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yep @jab1 is right. @Surfer do you just have the one device/laptop? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

I think i have narrowed it down and it seems to be the website as only happening on the same website?

jab1
Legend

@Surfer Can you share the site in question? I'm not on a PN connection any more, so my checking may not help, but maybe someone on PN could?

John
Surfer
Grafter

Apologies I only noticed the notification 5 minutes ago.  I think it is an issue with the FF browser as the issue is now with only one website.

jab1
Legend

Which site? I use FF.

John