Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Xbox Live Downloads + Odd Line Rate

minimos
Grafter

Slow Xbox Live Downloads + Odd Line Rate

Hi,
I had Fibre installed this Wednesday and so far are very happy with the product (so much so that I have asked to be put on the 80/20 trial).
Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I am hoping people with longer Fibre exposure may be able to help me resolve.
I am getting throughput of around 35Mbps according to the speedtester but that rate does not appear to be consistent across all services.  The packages is Plusnet Fibre Extra with the Pro addon, and I am using the Netgear router provided and BT modem. 
1.  Steam will download games at about 3.9Mb/s, which is roughly what I would expect , in line with the speedtest, so it took just over an hour and a half to download approx a 22gb game.  However when downloading from Xbox Live the throughput is really poor.  I am in the process of downloading a Gears of War addon which weighs in at 2GB, it is now over an hour and it still hasn't completed (roughly 80% done) which is more akin to my old ASDL2 speeds.  There appears to be no problems with lag or ping from the few games I have played, it is just the downloads.  The Xbox has had 2 configs to test the throughput, 1 using port forwarding to a reserved IP, which when I saw such slow speeds this config was removed and I just let it connect using Upnp but there is no difference.  In both configs the NAT status is shown as Open.  Both configs have also been tested wireless and through an Ethernet cable.
2.  The 2nd question is more out of curiosity, when the service was installed my connection settings showed a line speed of 37Mbps (in the Plusnet account section), however yesterday it dropped to 20MBps but my throughput on Speedtester and Steam is as above so the actual download rate is where I would expect it to be with a 37 sync.  I am not too worried as my speeds are unaffected but it just seems a bit odd.
Thanks in advance
Minimos
6 REPLIES 6
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Slow Xbox Live Downloads + Odd Line Rate

Are you wired or wireless on the Xbox?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
minimos
Grafter

Hi Kelly,
I have tried it on both configs, the speed is much the same.  Wireless I put it right next to the router, and for wired direct into the Netgear.
Thanks
mxs
Grafter

2.  The 2nd question is more out of curiosity, when the service was installed my connection settings showed a line speed of 37Mbps (in the Plusnet account section), however yesterday it dropped to 20MBps but my throughput on Speedtester and Steam is as above so the actual download rate is where I would expect it to be with a 37 sync.  I am not too worried as my speeds are unaffected but it just seems a bit odd.

The 20Mbps profile is an unrestricted one that you have been switched to since you signed up to the 80/20 trial - same one was used for the initial FTTC (and I believe FTTP) trials.  The normal 40Mb FTTC profile is the 37Mbs one you were on previously.    When/if the 80/20 service goes live I imagine they will create a new profile for it and move people over to that.  Changing the name of the test profile would perhaps be a good idea to make it less confusing but since it is only used for trials it is not a big thing I guess. Smiley
minimos
Grafter

Thanks mxs that would,make sense.
If you are correct though I have seen no visible change on the DS or US throughput, is this normal?
mxs
Grafter

They may have changed your profile in anticipation of the order for 80/20 going through but it may not have actually happened yet I guess.  Have you tried resetting the fibre modem (it will only pick up the new speed on resyncs)?  You can also run the BT speedtest to see if your IP profile has been changed there (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/).
Not on the trial myself so not sure if they notify you when your order is submitted and/or complete.  Hopefully one of the support peeps can let you know what is going on if there is still no change. Smiley
minimos
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the response again, currently away so can not check the stats. I will lookat the sync rate when I get home