cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Upload

oldgeezer
Grafter

Slow Upload

My PN supplied 585v8 modem router recently fried and brought my speed to it's knees. PN replaced it and my download speed has climbed most of the way back and has been stable for several weeks. I now have a sync speed just above 7000 kb/sec and a profile of 6000 'so I'm reasonably happy. However my upload speed has remained down at just above 100 kb/sec instead of 440 kb/sec  which I find puzzling. Does anyone know what's going off.
oldgeezer
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow Upload

Hi there,
I've just run some line tests and can't see an obvious reason for this.
I'd try running a few tests during the day to see if its constantly at 100kbps or if it fluctuates at all. Also if this has just happened suddenly with a new router then setting it to factory defaults might be a good idea in case its an issue with the firmware for example.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you can post your router stats and the result of a BT speedtest (see sticky at the top of this board) it may give a clue.
I would be interested in the upstream profile although I have never seen that reduced below sync speed
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi oldgeezer
Is this wired or wireless?
Jojo Smiley
oldgeezer
Grafter

I've found the problem, it's the Plusnet supplied chocolate fireguard (sorry I meant to say Thomson router).
The problem only affected wireless operation. The download speed reached a new low of 81 kb/sec. Taking Adam Walkers advice I did a reset by holding the reset button in until the red led came on.
The set-up screen froze for 35 mins 'so I tried again and this time it worked. The replacement router is only about 3 weeks old, the last one fried, and I have it tilted up to get plenty of air around it. It gets too warm in my opinion as a retired electronics engineer with 40 years in the trade. If I could find a decent router that would be reliable on my medium length line (att -41 dB) I would do. I don't fancy a ex BT 2 wire as all the unused ones seem to have gone now.
I suppose this problem will continue until PN's masters run out of the dreadful Thomson routers.
Thanks for the replies anyway.
Regards,
Oldgeezer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Oldgeezer,
As per our conversation, I'll dig out one of the couple of v7s we have left and pop that in the post for you.
Jojo Smiley
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I've got a similar problem on a V8 - upload basically slows to a complete halt ( like 58 kbps compared to 377 kbps ) after a few days. I have to reboot the router to get it back up to speed again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI SteveA,
I've answered your question here.
Jojo Smiley