Did you mean: 

Slow Throughput - PN profile Maybe?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow Throughput - PN profile Maybe?

@gimmon,
FYI there are options to buy up front or free on a deferred contract as mentioned by grudkin, however we don't loan routers I'm afraid.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gimmon
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies on the router options, I've managed to arrange the loan of a Draytek 2710 from a colleague. Will post results tomorrow night. 
@grudkin - I too have read the mixed results of the DG834Gv2, but I'd imagined that the performance would be evidenced by poor sync rates. Anyway, the Draytek 2710 ought to tell the story.
Cheers,
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: gimmon
..................... but I'd imagined that the performance would be evidenced by poor sync rates. Anyway, the Draytek 2710 ought to tell the story.

Mmm, I have seen modem/routers that are getting knackered or gone faulty because of poor design, still syncing ok but giving rubbish throughput results. But as you say, hopefully the Draytek will tell the story.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
FYI there are options to buy up front or free on a deferred contract as mentioned by grudkin, however we don't loan routers I'm afraid.
Adam

I'm interested in buying one upfront as my present router is getting a bit old in the tooth.
You have my details for a one-off payment. What is the best way to set about this?
TIA
grudkin
Grafter

You will have to call Plusnet on 0800 432 0200 to place an order for the TG582n telling them that you want to pay the £40 up front!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Heloman
I'm interested in buying one upfront as my present router is getting a bit old in the tooth.

Why? If you take the router and then decide to leave within the year you'll pay exactly the same as if you pay up front (but you've delayed having to pay for it). If you stay with Plusnet for the year you get it for free.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Heloman
Grafter

Thanks  jelv!
That never occurred  to me  Embarrassed
If I don't stay for a year it would be my executor who has to pay the £40.....
Duh!
gimmon
Dabbler

OK all,
So, using the DrayTek 2710n over a wired connection, I am seeing a slight improvement:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 12.59 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0 Mbps-0 Mbps .
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 0 Mbps

However, earlier today, Plusnet support increased the noise margin on my line.  The result of that was to drop my sync rate to 18200 kb/s using the original router.  But using the DrayTek, I am still syncing at 19500 kb/s.
Grateful for the small improvement, but I still think it could do better - still a way from the profile rate.  I am not sure that the noise margin change has helped (results still the same results with the Netgear) I would guess that the performance of the DrayTek is the bigger factor. Actually wishing the noise margin hadn't been changed until after the DrayTek test.
Cheers,
G
Anotherone
Champion

That's still  a damned odd result from the BT speedtester, has it always produced those "0" figures on the acceptable range 'cos that ain't right ? It should also tell you the "IP profile for your line".
It would be unusual for Plusnet to increase the Noise Margin, I suspect that you just saw a higher SNRM because the noise on the line reduced a bit, I don't think you would have synced higher with the Draytek if the Target SNRM had gone up. In any event it would have been the exchange DLM to have done that.
Can you post the full stats from the Draytek as well?
gimmon
Dabbler

Hi,
OK, I might have mis-phrased.  Here's a quote from the Plusnet ticket:
"I appreciate this is getting frustrating so I have made a change on the line to try to increase the throughput, this change includes resetting the line to raise the noise margin on the line. This will ultimately add further stability but will decrease to top synchronisation speed slightly however not to a level where you can physically notice the difference. This change takes between 4-24 hours to take effect on the line."
The Netgear definitely syncs about 1000 kb/s slower than before (and the noise margin has increased from 3db to 6db), but you can see the Draytek stats attached.
The Speedtester results are from the 'Additional Tests' page not the main one (I forgot to capture but they reported an IP Profile of 17.59 Mb/s and a throughput of 12.5 Mb/s).  Will run again in an 30 minutes.
Cheers,
G
gimmon
Dabbler

OK all,  here are the results of the BT Speedtester run at 22:04 15/05/2012 with the Draytek router (synced at 19467kb/s).
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, sorry, I'd forgotten you'd got a ticket running on this. The improved speed suggests either the Draytek is doing a much better job or the Netgear is on the way out. Only time with the Draytek will give some ideas on stability.
As for the throughput, this could be congestion somewhere. I was typing this reply as my connection dropped and now seeing the latest BT speedtest that is definitely my opinion with the upload speed being down as well. Check which Gateway you are on, then do a Gateway hop (click on Drop PPoA on the Draytek interface I'd guess, and then Connect or whatever it says if it doesn't do it automatically) and run another speed test. Check which new Gateway you are on.
gimmon
Dabbler

OK all,
I have good news, BT Speedtester reporting 14.37 Mb/s Download speed with an IP Profile of 18.23 Mb/s (79% of profile rate).  Much more like it, I'd say.
Unfortunately, I can't definitively say what the issue was.  Rather looks like it's down to the Draytek 2710n being much better than either of the Netgear DG834Gv2s I tested with.  Plusnet support increased my target noise margin, but the Draytek still syncs at 20.18 Mb/s, but I wish I'd tried the Draytek before they did that so I had a fair comparison.  In fact, I've asked them to reverse the change as I think it's a red herring.  My line was very stable so I don't see how the noise margin would help with throughput.  Please educate me if I'm wrong. Incidentally, the Netgear still performs as poorly as before.
Support did report that copper line tests at the exchange were 'problematic' not sure if that was also a factor.
Plusnet don't seem to want to reset the noise margin, which I am disappointed about.
Cheers all.
Anotherone
Champion

Well if Plusnet are saying the copper line tests were "problematic" I'd be asking them for full details, because put simply - yes it will be a factor.
gimmon
Dabbler

OK all, just to close the loop on this one.
Plusnet agreed to un-set the target noise margin resulting in sync rate of 21.74Mb/s.  Speedtester indicates an IP Profile of 19.64Mb/s and a throughput of 14.31Mb/s, a result of  73% of profile rate during the evening seems reasonable. Achieved using a DrayTek 2710n using a Ethernet cable.
Conclusion: poor ADSL2+ performance with both of my Netgear DG834Gv2 routers.
Many thanks to all for your suggestions.