Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Throughput - PN profile Maybe?

gimmon
Dabbler

Re: Slow Throughput - PN profile Maybe?

Hi Jojo,
My set-up is as basic as I can imagine:
Windows XP SP2 Laptop with Core 2 Duo P8800 and 2GB RAM and wireless turned off.
Browsers: MS Internet Explorer 8 and Chrome 19.0 with Java 1.6 JRE
Connected directly (1.2m CAT5 cable)  to a Netgear DG834G v2 (firmware V3.01.31) router with wireless access point turned off and otherwise standard config.
Router connected via a 2m RJ11 and Fujitsu microfilter to the BT master socket (face-plate off into test socket). No other devices connected to phone line - net even telephone.
I have varied the router (with an identical DG834), changed microfilter and used a different Ethernet cable (both high quality i.e. not home-crimped). 
Speed test sites used:
speedtester.bt.com
speedtest,net
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
I've just run another BT test (15:39 10/05/2012):
Download speed achieved during the test was - 8.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 17.39 Mbps

Honestly can't think what more I could do to optimise, but would value any suggestions.
Cheers,
Adam

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, a few more suggestions. Have you tried it wireless (ruling out an issue with the ethernet port on your laptop) Are you able to try your laptop on another connection to make sure it's not something to do with your network card Smiley
gimmon
Dabbler

OK Jojo,
Running on wireless (11g) BT Speedtest at 17:26 10/05/2012:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.2 Mbps

Creeping into the evening peak I guess, but clearly not faster than via cable connection.
I don't have another ADSL connection test it with, but my laptop is frequently connected via a corporate LAN and I've seen 26Mb/s achieved on speedtest.net.
I have another PC in the house, so I'll run the BT Speedtest from that once the one hour has elapsed and post the results.  Have tested from that PC before, but worthwhile checking as I appreciate we need to eliminate all possibilities.
Cheers,
G
gimmon
Dabbler

Just for interest, PING test results...
gimmon
Dabbler

OK Jojo, here are the results when running the BT Speedtester from a desktop PC connected via Ethernet cable:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 9.97 Mbps

Cheers,
G
gimmon
Dabbler

... and an hour later at 20:44 10/05/2012 (BT Speedtest on desktop PC via wired connection):
Download speed achieved during the test was - 9.82 Mbps

Cheers,
G
gimmon
Dabbler

same again at 2200 10/05/2012
now my upstream is slow (although I guess it's a one-off)...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.54 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi gimmon,
I can't add a lot to what's been said on ticket 54969776 I'm afraid as many avenues have been covered, I'm assuming as a matter of course you have tried another router?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gimmon
Dabbler

Adam, thanks.
I have tried another router (an identical DG834G v2). I guess I could try and borrow a different model.
What I'm struggling to accept is the fact that every piece of evidence on line and connection properties points to a high performing service.  It just behaves as though it's being throttled, hence my original question about PN IP profile.
Need to find someone else who's connected to THHW exchange and has with similar line properties!
Cheers,
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I see your exchange VP status is supposedly Green, but I'm baffled by this "other service" on your line purported to be something to do with BT Vison! Have you ever had BT vision?
Can you copy and paste the full results from the BT speedtest?
gimmon
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
No, never had BT VIsion.
Full results attached (just run again at 0835 12/05/2012) - including the additional tests page, which does indicate that the 'other service' is related to Vision.  You can see from a response earlier in this thread that this oughtn't affect broadband, though.
In case you're wondering, if I initiate the additional test , I just get a timeout error.
Thanks for your interest,
G
Bullet
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I see your exchange VP status is supposedly Green, but I'm baffled by this "other service" on your line purported to be something to do with BT Vison! Have you ever had BT vision?
Can you copy and paste the full results from the BT speedtest?

Seems like the BT speed tester has been changed (possibly for 21CN users only), as I too now have the assured rate test, my results below.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gimmon,
It may be possible that your router isn't ADSL2+ compatible. I've just had a look at the specs on the Netgear website and it doesn't mention ADSL2+ Can you get your hands on a router that is and see if it makes the difference?
Jojo Smiley
gimmon
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Well, I am at firmware version 3.01.31 so please see below:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/258/related/1
However, I accept the point that given the router is getting on a bit, it would be nice to try with a different model. Do I want to shell out £60 for a new router?  If it solved the problem, I would do.  I wonder if Plusnet have a loan router?
Cheers,
G
grudkin
Grafter

Plusnet will provide a TG582n Wireless router on a deferred 12 month contract + £4.99 postage!
This means that you would only have to pay the £40 for the TG582n  if you leave Plusnet within the 12 month contract!
I have now been using a Plusnet provided TG582n router for over 2 weeks and I am really pleased with it!  Wink
After a search there seems to be very mixed results of success with the DG834Gv2 on firmware version 3.01.31 using ADSL2+