Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds.

dermott
Dabbler

Slow Speeds.

Hi,
    My speeds started dropping about 2 weeks ago.

Speedtester reports:
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2536 kbps
Mybroadbandspeed:

Plusnet speed checker:
31-12-2007 19:57:14  -  383.9Kbps
I'm currently using a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router.
Stats:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7127/35220498ip1.jpg
35 REPLIES 35
Keithkkl
Grafter

Re: Slow Speeds.

Just did a speedtest - my upload speed is faster than my download speed!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/217171866.png
They are really slow
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Try looking at your exchange, see if its congested
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Also have you tweaked?? see here. If exchange is not congested, post back the results of the tweaktester, and Im sure someone can help, if needed.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU2.htm
dermott
Dabbler

Exchanges are green and not congested. Just came back from a game and my ping was like 600.
Keithkkl
Grafter

Just tried the same speedtester dermot. Still got the same results. Also checked the exchanges and they are green
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

May be a silly question but have tried plugging your modem/router directly into your BT box without extensions?
Also whats the quality of your normal phone calls?
The reason I ask is just because when I had speeds as low as them it turned out to be the BT box, if your line was a bit below Parr I could see PN being involved but that DL speeds is only just running.
BTW penfold handy link for kitz bookmarked.
dermott
Dabbler

Tried that but no avail. Quality of calls seems ok, don;t use the landline alot though.
This is just getting ridiculas now, getting random dropouts, most of my downloads are getting corrupted, probabley to being timed out.
James
Grafter

Hi Dermott,
Are you getting physical connection drops?
If that is the case, I would strongly advise trying to use a different filter, ensure that you are connecting to your master socket (via filter) and try a different modem or router if this is at all possible.
If you're still having problems we can then raise it with BT as an intermittent fault.
Clive

Hi Dermott
I too have been experiencing slow connection speeds of late. My router was reporting a connetion speed of 3500kps and now it's down to 358kps. I've changed my router and filter but to no avail. I've had PlusNet look in to it and they tell me there is no problem with my line. If I want to take it further and have BT investigate further then I run the risk a bill of £144+VAT should BT not find a problem. I'm convience that there is something wrong somewhere that is out of my control, but at the same time I don't want run the risk of getting that bill.
Strange thing is though why when I was getting a connection of 3500kps has it just suddenly dropped to 358kps? I was told if I disconnected the router 5 days in a row it would initialise a routine run by BT similar to what every ADSL connection goes through in the first 10 days - it's didn't and I'm stuck now with a slow connection.
James
Grafter

Hi Clive,
Have you been seeing those sync speeds consistently?  If so, then it is below BTs acceptable limits which would mean that a fault should be raised if you have done the usual hardware and wiring checks (which you appear to have done) and I'd reccommend the engineer visit.  You'll only be charged if the problem is past your master socket (ie: cabling, filter, router).
Clive

Hi James
In that case I'll take it further as nothing in the house (wiring, routers etc) changed before the problem started. From what you have said, it would appear I won't be charged as it looks like there is a problem on BT's side of things!
James
Grafter

Thanks Clive.
I've just sent the fault through to BT for further investigation.
Clive

Thanks James
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I had a problem it turned out to be an extension cable that someone who owned the house previously had fitted which was breaking down causing problems at the box.
I was aware of the call out charge but TBH the guy was alright about it, I just told told him to take out the extension as I didn't use it anyway and he fitted a new box.
If you want to be doubly sure take your modem,filter and cable round to a friends and test then you can rule them out.
dermott
Dabbler

Just ran a new test and my ip profile seems to have dropped since yesterday.

IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 662 kbps