cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds for Months, Help

FIXED
raydj2003

Slow Speeds for Months, Help

Hello, a month ago I started a topic on the lack of fibre broadband of services that my current address is able to get. Now I have concerns on both the speed of the internet that I currently receive with the standard broadband package that we are paying £18.99 for.

The problem is that we are only getting around 2.5mbits per second, which is around 310kbytes per second, this is accurate for the speed we are getting, and in comparison for the shoddily advertised 17mbits per second or 2125kbytes per second that was up to offer at the time of buying the service on October last year (October/2018 ). The average speed which I had checked before buying the product was 8.4mbits per second which is 1050kbytes per second, we are getting less than a third of this and the service is completely atrocious.

Over the past month we have attempted to call plusnet using the customer service number and we never got any response even after a full hour of attempting to get in contact with a customer service representative for technical support, so we tried using the online chat and we did get responses from representatives, but when we tried asking about the speed, they asked us to contact customer service as we had done as mentioned, and again we never got any response, leading to me writing on this forum. 

We are not satisfied with our service which has 4-5 months left on contract, we have been getting these speeds for ages, and we have contacted the customer service at times in the past 13 months of usage of this internet provider, all we got were instructions on resetting our router, or the customer service representative would reset our line or change our channel or something on those lines, these never worked and we still got the same terrible speeds every time.

I need advice on what to do about this, thanks.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: SLOW SPEEDS FOR MONTHS, HELP

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow Speeds for Months, Help

Fix

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your speeds.

From testing your line the speeds are currently within the estimates for your line so I'm afraid there isn't much further we can do.

Can you advise what service you had prior to us are our tests are showing that your line is over 5 kilometers in length and it's unlikely that you'd achieve such speeds as a result

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
raydj2003

Hello, in the first post I said that the exchange/cabinet is around 4 miles away from my house, however, checking properly on samknows, I have found that my line length is actually 2875m long, which is 2.875km long, as well as this, what should I do about this problem, our internet is painstakingly slow, is this the closest cabinet for the house, and if not, and there are closer cabinets, is it possible that our lines can be rerouted to those for better speeds, thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Put your phone number in the DSL Checker, and post the results - it will show what speeds and services you should/could be getting.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @raydj2003, they're some great questions you're asking in looking for improvement with your speeds however after looking into this for you I'm afraid your line is connected to the closest available cabinet as checked on:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm (Using the postcode look up)

Until further infrastructure comes into the area then I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to further improve the current speeds your line is achieving. Other internet alternatives may be worth looking into however if speeds is your ultimate goal such as satellite broadband or 4G home broadband. I hope this helps.