cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds - awful upload

ax429

Slow Speeds - awful upload

Hello,
I have joined Plusnet a month ago (was with Sky before).
I have noticed a significant decrease of my internet connection with the switch: I use to have 12Mbps down 1.5Mbps up with Sky and I now have 10Mbps down 0.4 up with Plusnet.
That is the maximum speeds I have benched so far, but it sometimes goes down to 6M down 0.2 up.  Cry
Needless to say that online gaming is not possible with those speeds and that I am quite disappointed.
I am using the same internet plug and I have changed the filter to use Plusnet's during the switch.
Are these speeds normal?
I have also read that some customers get their upload speed capped. Is it my case? If it is how can I uncap it.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Slow Speeds - awful upload

You were ordered on a 448k upload product. I've asked for this to be changed for you, and you should get the higher upload speed on Monday.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ax429

Thanks, I ll let you know if it improves the experience.
Gaming is absolutely impossible. Is there anything more I need to do to configure the traffic management that applies to me?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi ax429,
Welcome to the forums.  The change to the upload speed will be of some help (@CRT why are we still seeing 21CN services ordered with a capped upload speed?).
I doubt though that it will address all of your issues.  Sky uses their own equipment in some exchanges, PlusNet use BT WBC equipment in all exchanges.  That equipment manages lines differently to how Sky functions.  It is suggested that BTs systems deliver better stability, but that is at the expense of raw synch speed.
Can you please gather the information specified here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - and we can offer further guidance.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option2.
Are there extension sockets?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@Townman - This particular order was placed manually so I'm putting it down to human error. I will of course address this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ax429

Hello Townman,
thank you for your post.
Here are my router stats (rebooted for the first time yesterday)
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 15:19:55
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 12,695
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 304.81 / 3.45
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 22.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.1 / 6.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,445 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6,766
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9,880
BT speed test gives:
10M down out of 21 and 0.3M up out of 0.45
Here are my broadband details:
Phone exchange:
PADDINGTON
Estimated line speed:
17Mb (This may vary between 10Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-11-30 16:19:43
Current line speed:
11.1 Mb
I am not using the master socket directly. A cable extends the line and allows me to have the router in a more convenient place.
I ran some tests 1 year ago and I did not notice any impact with the use of the cable.
Phone line is quiet.
no extension socket.
Internet Browsing, Streaming and downloading are good (by that, I mean that the experience is what I was expecting)
Email sending is extremely slow (hence my previous post) and as mentioned previously online gaming experience is really bad (even though the ping is always good: 20-30).
Hope this will help diagnose the problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It has already been diagnosed - there's no point in you posting again (or anyone else chipping in) before then!
Quote from: plusnettony
You were ordered on a 448k upload product. I've asked for this to be changed for you, and you should get the higher upload speed on Monday.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Jelv,
Fixing the capped US synch speed will improve email sending, but it is not going to address the rather low DS synch seen by this OP compared to the line's estimates.
A 23dB attenuated line ought to be synching nearer 19Mbps than the present 12.6Mbps reported above.

ax429,
If your router is plugged into a 'flat' telephone extension lead, you are not going to get the best out of your connection.  If your PC only has wired connectivity, you would be better off changing your internal wiring arrangements...
1. Install a "proper" phone extension socket using a twisted-pair cabling between the master socket and the new extension.
or
2. Move the router to the master socket and connect your PC to the router using a long Ethernet cable - these can be up to 100m with minimal degradation
or
3. Move the router to the master socket and connect the PC to the router using a pair of Ethernet-over-power adapters, such as those made by Devolo

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I am not using the master socket directly. A cable extends the line and allows me to have the router in a more convenient place.

Could you try plugging the router in without the use of an extension and get the same line stats again?
The upload is now showing as uncapped, syncing at 1115.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.