Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

wattsy
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed

Hiya LOL
  Yes I did get the tool, managed to get the wires in then pressed the tool down.
  Regards Wattsy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a difficult question, how many wires were there? and did you only put back 2 and 5 into the correct positions: if it was a flat wire as HP said, then they will be in the correct order if you flatten them out properly, if only 4 wires then it is the first and last.  That sheet I sent was old and said you needed the ring middle two, ignore that Huh
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
    Had a few more attempts without success, so I'll leave for now and order from Maplins Order Code: BD41U.

There are four wires, disguarded orange, orange/white. Put blue/white into 2 white/blue into 5 but I don't think they can be in right!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Wattsy
itsme
Grafter

I reckon that there is a good chance that the wiring does not follow a standard. It look like this cable was made in situ by the Sky installers. It also worth noting that the terminal numbers of the plug are the reverse to the wall socket. ie. pin 2 on the wall socket goes to pin 5 on the plug., 3 on the wall to 4 on the plug, 5 on the wall to 2 on the plug. So do the terminal markings on the Sky adaptor reflect a wall socket or a plug?
Can you see  which wires go to which terminals at the other end of the cable?
itsme
Grafter

This site sum it up nicely. Scroll down to 'The Nice Thing About Standards Is That There Are So Many To Choose From'  and you will see a diagram of what I was referring to above.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Wattsy,
Well I'm glad Pierre managed to find the info. very useful (he's a good chap like that Wink ), glad you got the tool and managed to get the wires in, well done  :), even if its not working yet. At least that's some progress. I'll come back to the wires.
The stats - first lot pretty comparable with what we've had lately, 2nd lot slightly disappointing, but if the wires aren't right, that may have something to do with it.
Back to the wires. Itsme has made a good point worth checking, just have a quick look at the Sky receiver end of the cable, the blue/white wires should go to the middle two connections at that end (me thinks  Roll_eyes )
Now because I can't see that adapter/connector for the plug in end I don't know which way round the IDC terminals are, but logically 2&5 based on the photo you attached a while ago, should be bottom left and top right - but I don't know which way round without switching on a few grey cells. Are they clearly numbered and is that the terminals you are using? Jim's tip about a pair of tweezers may be handy for a bit of manipulation, but what you need to be careful of is not opening the gap between the two sides of the terminal which will affect it going through the insulation and making contact with the wire. I expect as you've had a play with this, you'll see what I mean.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya

Yes the information Pierre gave was very useful.Though I think the adapter may be at fault as the wires were as you stated last post, bottom left

blue/white, top right whie/blue. So I see what I can get to-day.

Here are results this morning router and phone plugged in
System Up Time 00:15:01
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 9916 17433 0 1108 26202 00:14:38
LAN 100M/Full 17704 10938 0 26044 1442 00:14:57

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4928 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 8 db
Noise Margin 13 db 25 db

Regards Wattsy
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wattsy,
just realised something that should have been asked way back, which has also lead me to an obvious test. Your phone, is it corded or cordless?
Take your phone and plug it into one of those two sockets on the sky adapter/lead which is plugged into the tamar filter (which is plugged into the socket you use for the sky) Do you hear dial tone etc? If not, unplug the sky adapter/lead and plug the phone straight into the 'tamar'. Do you get dial tone now? If not, switch off the router, wait  about 5 minutes, then go back and unplug the 'tamar' and plug the phone straight into the wall socket that you use to plug the sky into, can you hear dial tone now? If not, we need to check the connections to the extension 1) at the back of the master 2) at the back of the extension.
If the first of these tests were Ok, then it's obviously the sky adadpter/lead that's the problem, the best solution I think, also suggested by pierre yesterday, is just to put a standard BT plug on the end of the sky lead (either from Maplins or whoever locally to you has one of those kits - it must contain the little tool for squashing down the contacts of the plug onto the cable. The kit should not cost more than ~ £2-£3, Maplins isn't the cheapest, but may be the most convenient.
Whatever happened with those checks above, if the cause was rear of master or extansion & now sorted, or just the sky bit, if you switch/keep off the router for an hour (assuming the 'tamar' filter wasn't faulty) we'll swap filters. That 'tamar' should be the best, so plug it into the master, instead of that 'plug-splitter microfilter'. Plug the router in, but don't powerup yet, plug the phone in, check the phone works!, then go and plug the 'plug-splitter microfilter' into the wall socket you use for sky. Once the router has been off for an hour or more, powerup and post the stats.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
  Followed your  instructions to check for dialing tone on extension where sky would be connected, No tone.
Then checked the other extensions NO tone. Only socket where there is a dailing tone is master socket. Checked all the wires in extensions 
  white/blue 2  blue/white 5.
  I'll have to leave it for now as I'm getting a bit frustrated, can't see any problem with the wires. I'll leave the router off for an hour or so as you
  advised then post the results.
  Regards
Anotherone
Champion

Hiya Wattsy,
I can understand your frustration, don't worry we'll sort this - we'll turn you into an engineer yet  Wink and you have got the wires in the right places, they're just not connecting for some reason.
You probably won't read this until later, so you may not want to do some or all of this until tomorrow as it'll be best to powerdown the router again  Roll_eyes (in which case you could switch off last thing tonight, do the deeds tonight or tomorrow and powerup again in daylight).
Easiest (in theory) bit first. At the wall socket for sky. On the back of it, undo the screw terminal for say #2 first (blue/white) pull out the 2 blue/white wires. Unlike IDC terminals, where the terminal pierces the insulation to make contact, here the wire has to be bare to make contact. If both bits are not bare for say about 5-10mm, carefully remove a short bit of insulation and then re-insert both wires and tighten up the screw. Do the same for terminal #5. Check again for dial tone. If there is still none, then it likely to be the IDC terminations on the back of the master face place.
Remove the master faceplate and use that IDC insertion tool to make sure each wire is correctly and fully inserted in each connection. Plug the master faceplate back in, and check for dial tone at the extension.
Report back with any problems or any oddities you may find, and just as re-assurance this problem has nothing whatsoever to do with orange or green wires that are disconnected.
Good luck - I'll keep checking this thread for your replies.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
    When I checked the wires this afternnoon I did notice that the wires in the master socket into the contact are not bare but as it was a BT
  technician  who fitted the master socket I thought it must be right. And of- course the phone and broadband are working.

So should I try taking the insulation off and see what happens. God loves a tryer and I'm hopeful!!!!!!!!!!
  I got the telephone plug kit to-day from B&Q they must of stocked up as they didn't have them yesterday. Yes from Maplin the postage was
going  to be more than the kit.
  Regards Wattsy
Anotherone
Champion

NO, no the wires on the Master socket (or into ANY IDC terminal) should not be bare. The IDC terminal penetrates the insulation on two opposite sides and grips onto the wire. The fact that the insulation on the end is still joined to the rest by the "top and bottom" so to speak, helps prevent it being pulled out along the length of the wire. But doesn't stop it pulling out upwards.
It's only on the screw type as per your secondary sockets where it should be bare.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

like wise the phone plugs you got today, you dont strip the insulation back, put the wires into the tubes, then use the tool to push every thing into place, I use a pair of 'Mole' grips to apply the pressure, one of my tools, a metal one looks like you can hit it with a Liverpool Screwdriver (Hammer), going to get the pits and photo for you
Anotherone
Champion

Wires must be cut to a suitable length, so that the outer cable sheath is in far enough to be gripped by the grip at the rear. If you have the plugs, pins uppermost (as per pierre's pic in reply #98) and pins furthest away, ie the springy plastic bit is to the right, then the order of the wires is white/blue, white/orange, orange/white, blue/white.
I'd be inclined not to use the "liverpool screwdriver" at least to start with, things could go flying and go out of position. Press down as hard as you can with the tool to start with. Finish off gently with the hammer on top of the tool if need be.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just got the pic,  the instructions with mine say cut the outer cover back 15mm and use pliers or 'Mole' Grips