cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

chrisw1004

Slow Speed

recently been seeing a big drop in speed, went from 7 megs to not even 1megs recently dont really know why any help would be great, max speed i can get when downloading off the net, i.e. podcasts etc is 88 kb/s which is painful when watching video playing xbox etc
edit: also have noticed when playing online my nat is set to strict and i can't get it to go open, i brought this broadband to play games online and i can't due to this problem.
11 REPLIES 11
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow Speed

HI chrisw1004,
below is a shot of you last weeks connections:

Are you turning your router on and off after every session? Your line has been banded. This will be because the system thinks your connection is unstable. I would advise leaving your router on all the time and that way we can see if there are any issues with your line. I reckon when you leave it on all the time we will see a great improvement.
Jojo Smiley
chrisw1004

Hi
yeah i do, i switch it off after i finish with it, will the leaving it on resolve the speed as well as the nat problem?
Thanks
Chris
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI chrisw1004,
I would think that is most probably the reason for your reduction in speed. If you really want to switch the router off then firstly disconnect through the router interface before powering down. This will stop the system thinking it's a lost connection. Now that the profile has lowered though, you will have to leave it on continuously until it lifts. Once it is back up I would suggest any disconnections are conducted in the aforementioned manner.
Jojo Smiley
chrisw1004

Jo
Hi thanks for your suggestion have left it on since thursday lunch time, still no increase, really starting to annoy me now, as i pay for up to 20 mb/s and i get around 7-8 where i am, and still i cant watch iplayer its so slow and cant download the shows due to to the slow connection
any time frame on when and how long it usually takes
Regards
Chris
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisw1004,
I've ran a few checks and your line seems a lot more stable and it's syncing at the top end of the banded profile so I'm going to see if I can get the banding removed. I'll keep you updated.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisw1004,
I've had the banding lifted and you're now in sync at 9560k we just need to wait for your profile to lift now, so long as your line doesn't start dropping we should see an 8000k profile in about 4 hoursish
Jojo Smiley
chrisw1004

Hi jo
thanks very much, should be much happier with that will let you know
Regards
Chris
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chris,
I'll check it before I go home and if it's lifted their side then I'll lift it manual our side.
Jojo Smiley
chrisw1004

Hi jo
still hasnt lifted any knowing of when, as im getting rather tired of having no useful internet connection
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisw1004,
We're cooking on gas! Profile's now lifted, I've just matched the BT & PN profiles to 8000. You shouldn't need to reboot but if it's not picked up in the next half hour then you might as well.
Jojo Smiley
chrisw1004

Hi jo
thanks very much back to how it was and should be, can actually use the net for what i want to do with it,  did have to restart the router but disconnected powered down and then back and on and blam! nice 7-8 megs down Cheesy
Very happy  Smiley
Chris