Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

wattsy
Grafter

Slow Speed

Hiya To All
Again I come back  to-day for advice on connection speed below as you will see is a test I did earlier.
Today 14:09 130 kbps (16.3kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
I have tried a router for a week and it made NO difference to speed.
I have a Dynamode Adsl PCI modem.
Regards

142 REPLIES 142
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow Speed

To save digging back into your previous posts can you advise the model of router you used and what are the stats from it - this is how you get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Once we see those we can look for a reason for the poor speeds including your internal wiring setup
pierre_pierre
Grafter
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya Jim
Thanks for your time, the router I was using was a Netgear DG 834 which I am not using now.
At the moment Iam trying a speedtouch 330 sorry for any confusion.
Run a Dr speedtouch diagnostic but not sure what info you want from the log. 
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think this says it all
Although the Speedtouch 330 is used for ADSL Broadband Internet, it does not appear on the user's computer as a LAN or High-Speed Internet Connection, but rather as a Dial-up connection. Users must therefore initiate a dial-up connection every time they want to connect in order to get onto the Internet.
The Speedtouch 330 is in fact a very basic modem, as opposed to a router modem. It can only grant connectivity to one computer at a time, and does not have any built-in features such as IP routing, a firewall, NAT, or WLAN Wireless Internet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you followed the link I gave in my earlier post and selected your modem you would have got here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#44 which tells you how to get the information and this is what we need
ReceiveAttenuation_dB=
ReceiveMargin_dB=
SendAttenuation_dB=
SendMargin_dB=
It also has this note
Important Information for users of the Speedtouch 330 on DSLMax
Some older versions may be set by default is set to a maximum speed of 4Mbps. To support the higher speeds you need to download and install new drivers available from Speedtouch.
but lets leave that for the moment and see what the stats are
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya Jim
I was only trying the speedtouch but thanks for the advice, now reverted back to Dynamode PCI Modem.
I wasn't keen on the Netgear Dg834 but if you think I should try it again I will.
I was thinking of changing my package deal and had been offer a wireless router a few weeks ago from plusnet.
The speed issue has held me back from changing
Any further advice will be welcome.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unless you give the information requested from whichever modem/router you are using we won't be able to help you.
scootie
Grafter

i would use the dg834 any day over a bog standard usb modem.
as oldjim says we need your router stats to be able to help.
but from the looks of the thread your speed problems started when your stopped using your netgear dg834. so is most likely router/ modem causing the problems.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya Jim & Bright Spark
Now if you could just bear with me, I have been having the speed problem for quite some time,  using the dynamode PCI modem which was
supplied when I joined PN in 2002.
I only tried the speedtouch and funny enough the speed was  little better.
I tried the Dg834 for a few days and the speed was no better.
I am a novice as far as routers are concerned.
It did matter which modem I was using as I couldn't get the line status for either the Speedtouch 330 or the Dynamode PCI modem
I have now connected the Netgear DG834 and I think this is what you want below, if it isn't then you will have to give further advice.
Regards

System Up Time 00:41:09
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 2217 2322 0 741 1288 00:14:21
LAN 100M/Full 9625 11275 0 2022 976 00:41:05

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3584 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 8 db
Noise Margin 4 db 24 db

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

That's only about half the speed it should be and the numbers are a bit "odd" as well.
Do you have any extension wiring and where is the router connected?
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
The router is connect from main BT socket then the ethernet cable to the computer.
Regards
wattsy
Grafter

Quote from: wattsy
Hiya
The router is connect from main BT socket then the ethernet cable to the computer.
Regards
  Just been to internet opions, connections, the netgear router isn't listed.  Used the Setup Wizard so is it a case the router isn't set up right??????????
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Ignore the internet options that isn't relevant
Can you connect the router to the test socket which you get to by unscrewing the lower half of the master socket.
Do it with only the router connected to the test socket - no phones at this stage
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya Jim
Connected through the test scoket
jim:quote