cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed, need a fix

JEv5

Slow Speed, need a fix

Hello,

I have been with Plusnet for about a month and ever since my change (from TalkTalk) the speed and connection has been unstable and frustratingly slow.

I have ran some tests tonight found on http://internethealthtest.org/ which suggest I have a speed of 4.3Mb however my line test (from the User login, not the router login) states I am getting 8.3Mb.(Not entirely sure how accurate / truthful this is but found it on Google).

On any typical night my partner streams live TV and I usually watch Youtube and do various Linux / Development stuff.

Connection regularly get's stuck (disconnecting and reconnecting to the router temporarily alleviates the issue)  

I was going through some Docker tutorials the other night and when attempting to upload to Docker the connection bottle necked and any device connected to the router dropped connection.

It's getting a little frustrating as I can't progress any Linux/Dev suff here as downloading and installing packages is taking a life time!

I am unsure if it's the router of the line, but I definitely never had problems with TalkTalk.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Slow Speed, need a fix

You connection sync speed is testing below the estimates for your line:

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 18.5 35.0
SNR Margin: 8.5 6.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 4240 5671
Speed: 967 9359

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 9088 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 7270
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2400
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 27

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14 -- 10.5 to 17 Available -- -- -- --

If you haven't already, please could you run through our troubleshooting guides here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

It may also be worth removing the faceplate from your master socket and connecting directly to the test socket to try and rule out internal wiring/a fault faceplate.

If you continue to experience the same problems after this, please report the fault at https://faults.plus.net and let us know once you've done this. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Slow Speed, need a fix

@JEv5,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.