cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

RobS2
Grafter

Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

I having been having connection issues for over a year now.  Initially I was with Tiscali, but their customer service encouraged me to move ISP.  I had a "stable" connection using Tiscali's 2Mbps fixed rate service for over a year.  Overnight it became very unreliable, with the connection not available for days at a time.  I had a OpenReach engineer who visited and couldn't even connect, but I assume that he made some changes and the connection reappeared, albeit fixed at 1.5Mbps.  I moved to Plusnet and the speed has now dropped to 160kbps.  I have had 2 OpenReach engineers visit.  The first one suggested that I needed a new router as it sync'd below the figure he got with his JSPU.  I have a loan router from Plusnet which sync'd at the same rate as mine.  I was told they were "not very good" and just to buy another router.  Plusnet advised me not to buy a new router, but to wait to see if the line speed improved.  As it didn't they arranged for another "engineer" to visit.  He couldn't find a problem but spoke to someone else at Openreach who told him that his computer indicated that there was a problem with the line.  There was then a discussion between the 2 and the engineer changed the line from the cab to the exchange.  This made a big improvement, but my sync rate was below my FTR.  The speed has now reduced back 160kbps.  Plusnet's next answer was for me to buy an iPlate.  However I have removed all extension cables and BT fitted an NTE2000.  Therefore I am not sure what use the iPlate will be as it removes the ring wire.  
Fundamentally I believe a problem occurred last February.  My MSR is 2.3Mbps (and therefore my FTR) was set before then.  Until I can sync at 1.7M or higher, the DLM will revert to fault mode and reduce the speed to 160kbps.  Plusnet's advice is:
If you still think you have a connection problem we can raise this with BT for you. However, as we haven't found a problem with your phoneline or connection during our tests it is likely that BT may charge £144 plus VAT for the call out.
However from the tests below, your sync is still lower than the fault rate.
We have now completed all testing and have not been able to find a fault anywhere within the network. This all suggests that the fault is now either resolved or that it was being caused by your own equipment. Please monitor the connection and get back to us if you need further assistance on this matter.

Upstream Link Info
Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
38.5 13 0 0 121 448

Downstream Link Info
Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
60 12 0 0 115 1664

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data
Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
1250 2009-03-09T19:57:45 N 2008-10-18T02:23:42 2272

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
1817 A 1 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R) 2008-08-11T02:08:06
37 REPLIES 37
James
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

Hiya,
Because your problems are being caused by two things.  The distance from the exchange and the level of noise on your line.
Now, some things can be done to improve the level of noise, such as fitting a filtered faceplate, trying different routers and so on, which it looks like you've been through.  However, it's also possible that noise can increase naturally, increased population density, more use of broadband/phone lines in the area and so on.
The simple matter may just be that there is no fault and it's just down to the distance you are from the exchange.
However, I'm sure some interference experts will be along shortly to try and help you find another potential cause of your problem.
zubel
Community Veteran

Looks like you have a downstream SNR of 12 (default is 6) which indicates some form of noisy line.
The very first check that we need to do is see whether your sync speed increases when plugged into the TEST socket, behind the NTE.  Router stats from immediately after a connection will be very useful at this point. (downstream snrm, power, attenuation and sync)
Also, I would recommend monitoring your connection using Routerstats or DMT.  Neither are tools I'm hugely familiar with but I'm sure that some Oldjim will be along to post some helpful advice Smiley
We need to determine why you have a 12dB noise margin.  This may be unavoidable, but if we could reduce that to a 6dB margin then you'd likely see around ~1200-1600kbps added to your sync speed.  However, you are on a long line so trial and error will have to prevail here.
After every test that you are advised  to do regarding wiring changes, re-post your sync speed and attenuation figures.
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The first thing is to check with the test socket as something is very badly wrong if your fault threshold rate is 1817kbps with a reported attenuation of 60dB.
The point is that there is no way you could synch high enough to have that fault threshold rate with that attenuation.
Noise margin and monitoring are not much use if the reported attenuation is correct.
Can you advise the router you are using and the stats from the router.
Before the problem what sort of synch speed were you getting on Max also what does this say your distance to the exchange is (putting in your post code) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
We need the direct distance and the approximate distance by road
zubel
Community Veteran

That FTR looks like the fixed 2meg FTR, depending on a sync of 2272.
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which raises the question - was the Tiscali service LLU or IPstream -and is it possible to get the fault threshold reset
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi RobS2,
First, I'm going to ask a couple of what may seem stupid questions because of the inconsistencies I can see here.
When you reported your fault to PN, did you make them aware that you had been on a 2M fixed rate service before moving to PN?
Did you make them aware that BT had fitted an NTE2000 when this had occurred?
Can you carry out the following - desirably around mid-dayish (certainly more than an hour after sunrise and more than an hour before sunset) - & before disconnecting a router, power it down and wait at least 30 seconds before unplugging the line.
(You may need to reboot your computer, or run ipconfig/renew_all from a cmd prompt depending on your OS when swapping routers).
Do you still have the PN loan router? Do you have a known good "Rat-tail" filter (the dangly lead type like the BT MF50)?
If so, can you report first from which ever is currently connected, the current ADSL (DS & US) line stats - Rate, Attenuation, Noise Margin. Then using the same router, via the filter into the test socket (behind the NTE2000 front plate).  Then only from the test socket the other router. State which is which and what routers they are.
If only the one router, then just that one. What router provided the stats in your original post?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think the stats in the first post were from a whoosh test
RobS2
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies.
When I first moved to the house and Tiscali were my ISP I had internal wiring.  This has been removed just to enable my connection to work.  Any extension in teh house resulted in loss of sync.  Until very recently I had a filter plugged into the Test socket on the BT Master socket and the router and phone plugged directly into it.  When teh first OpenReach engineer visted this year he replaced teh standard face plate with an NTE 2000 with teh built in filter.  He told me they were better than the external filters.
The router is a Netgear DG834g.  Router stats are:
ADSL Link                                  Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed                  160 kbps                448 kbps
Line Attenuation                      59 db                      15.5 db
Noise Margin                            8 db                        12 db
Distances from the exchange are:  3.5Km direct and 6.6Km by road.
I'm not sure whether the Tiscali service was LLU or IPstream.  All I know is that it was a fixed rate service.  My concern about getting the FTR reset is that if there is a problem with the line it will never get resolved.

I didn't make PN aware that I had previously been on a 2M fixed rate service before moving to them.  The NTE2000 was fitted this year and teh visit was organised by PN.  I did make them aware that Openreach had fitted one.
Can you carry out the following - desirably around mid-dayish (certainly more than an hour after sunrise and more than an hour before sunset) - & before disconnecting a router, power it down and wait at least 30 seconds before unplugging the line.
(You may need to reboot your computer, or run ipconfig/renew_all from a cmd prompt depending on your OS when swapping routers).
I still have the PN loan router - it is a BT Voyager and several "rat-tail".  I'm currently baby sitting so as soon as I'm allowed I'll do teh tests suggested.  The stat provided are from teh woosh test.
Thanks again for the help so far.
RobS2
Grafter

Latest download from BT. Haven't yet been at home at the right time to do the tests suggested - probably Satuday.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 30 kbps
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh dear, that does look sick. Look forward to the test results at the w/e. Don't forget to keep listening to that phone line, if you hear any crackling or other intermittent noise, get reporting - to your line rental provider as a voice fault. Do so whilst the noise is present, don't use any automatic testing, get the adviser to confirm they can hear the noise and log it, and log it as intermittent, with a reqest that that information is passed to the Openreach engineer. DON't mention the broadband.
RobS2
Grafter

These are the stats just at 13:20 on Saturday: using my Netgear DG834g router into the NTE2000
Connection Speed 160 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 59 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 17 db 13 db
Bt Speedtester:
    Your DSL connection rate: 160 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 87 kbps
Plugged the router into the Test Socket using the Netgear Router:
Connection Speed 1248 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 13 db
Replaced the Netgear with the PN supplied router - Bt Voyager 210:
Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:14:22
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1248 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 14.9 dB 12.0 dB
Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 16.7 dBm 12.3 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 40 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 4 8
D (interleaver depth) 8 4
Super Frames 50694  50692 
Super Frame Errors 1  0 
RS Words 861816  430882 
RS Correctable Errors 1314  0 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 9  0 
HEC Errors 1  0 
OCD Errors 0  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors 0  0 
Repeated BT SPeedtester earlier today:
    Your DSL connection rate: 160 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 99 kbps

PN have suggested moving to a fixed rate service at 1.2Mbps.  I have not accepted their offer as my FTR will get reset and I will be stuck with a slow connection.  I used to connect reliably at 2Mbps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The first point is you need to sort out your internal wiring
These are the stats just at 13:20 on Saturday: using my Netgear DG834g router into the NTE2000
Connection Speed  160 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation  59 db  15.5 db
Noise Margin  17 db  13 db
Plugged the router into the Test Socket using the Netgear Router:
Connection Speed  1248 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation  60 db  15.5 db
Noise Margin  13 db  13 db
By NTE2000 I assume you have a faceplate filter which should isolate the rest of the house wiring. It obviously isn't so I would assume it has developed a fault.
I would suggest that you replace it with an ADSLNation XTE-2005 and check the stats both before and after you connect the extension wires to the faceplate.
RobS2
Grafter

Unfortunately the speed has dropped to 135 today despite being connected to Test socket.  There is no other wiring in the house.  The problem existed before the NTE2000 was fitted, but the OpenReach engineer thought he ought to do somethin before leaving.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Although you are connected to the test socket do you have a phone connected as well