cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Slow Slow....

savemedo
Grafter

Re: SLOW SLOW SLOW....

Thanks for the positive contrabuions Thrall.

I honestly don't think there is a fault on my line, and if there is it's at the street cabinet/exchange.

I honestly believe Plusnet are deliberatly throttling my connection.

They have said as much on this thread.

savemedo
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:

@savemedo  you have been told you line has been banded due to fault conditions detected - not throttled.

You have refused to carry out any basic checks, which all isps would expect you to do - and yet its not your fault - grow up, consider the fact that all the combined wisdom and expertise offered are right, and you are wrong - what if I too am right?

I have done all the checks I can, I have removed any possible malware on my computers, I am connected via the test socket, I have reset the original router, then replace the router with another known good one, all the phones have been disconnected and all the wires checked over and over again.

Plusnet is saying that they are throttling me because I switched my router on and off.

I'll just say that agian

Plusnet is saying that they are throttling me because I switched my router on and off.

Read the thread if you don't believe me!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

I said I was going to keep out of this BUT your latest statement is so far out of line, I will reluctantly respond. Plusnet are not throttling you - it is the automatic equipment in the BT exchange which is trying to stabilise the connection, and until either your line has been given chance to settle or a potential real problem in the network is resolved, you will not achieve the speed or stability you claim you have had in the past.

Telephone/broadband equipment is electronic, and electronic equipment can develop faults/fail at any time.

John
savemedo
Grafter

ping 59

Down 1.69mb

Up 0mb

Router has been on 12 hours

jab1
Legend

So- report a fault!

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@savemedo Plusnet don’t throttle. In fact I believe traffic management was turned off some 4 years ago. DLM at the exchange shouldn’t be capping your speed now as your line was reset so if you still have an issue and you’ve done the troubleshooting checks you’ve said, the next step is to raise a fault for an engineer to investigate.

If there’s a problem at the cabinet or exchange then the engineer will fix it just like if there’s a line fault. Ultimately though it seems that arranging an engineer is the next step in the investigation to get your broadband sorted. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@savemedo You are really not helping yourself or Plusnet to get this sorted.

Plusnet did not say they are throttling you because you turned your router on and off.

They said turning you router on and off may cause the ADSL line montoring system to see it as repeated faults and this could cause the line speed to be reduced.

Right at the beginning of this thread Gandalf offered you the chance to raise a fault and get an engineer appointment to look at the problem, you did not want to do this, instead you have tried other routers which as would be expected with a line fault have not achieved anything.

Oh by the way, good luck when you move to Shell broadband, they have poor technical support but you don't seem to want to take any advice that is offered to you anyway.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

So is there any noise on the line, dial 17070 option 2?

You have reported speed tests, but no router stats, a far more reliable and informative help for diagnosis.

You don't understand the difference between Banding, which DLM does to poor quality lines and Throttling.

The Radius graph shared by @Gandalf  earlier shows how many interruptions your has had over the last few days< DLM will take these as fault conditions and slow your line to try and get a stable speed. Are they all from the time you switched the router off or are there other reasons, such as a noisy line - up to you to check - PN test equipment did not detect when they tested.

These simple bits of info will help diagnose the problem, and would have been checke by you if you had bothered reporting a fault at faults.plus.net.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@savemedo wrote:

ping 59

Down 1.69mb

Up 0mb

Router has been on 12 hours

You obviously, have not read my two pennyworth posting... 

post number 25 on this thread.....

You need to LEAVE your ROUTER CONNECTED, Switched on, and connected to the master socket...

It can take up to 2 weeks for the EQUIPMENT to stabliise the connection... this is done AUTOMATICALLY.. it is not done by human intervention... PLUSNET ARE NOT THROTTLING YOUR SPEED>. it is the AUTOMATIC reaction of the electronics that control your. ( and everyonelse`s) line stability..

IF YOU KEEP switching your router(s) and you keep switching the power off. it is the same thing a s a dodgy/broken wire connection being broken and made by ( for instance) a branch against the telephone wires, being blown by the wind.

the end result is the equipment  is trying to compensate for what you are doing...

i.e. causing the problem, by repeated disconnection through power off or router swaps.

Yes.. it`s been connected for 12 hours or more.... just leave it... have patience..  leave it on overnight..and forever more......

it won`t cost you a small fortune, in fact, you would probably hardly notice any cost at all...   BUT you will reap the benefit of LEAVING IT CONNECTED over time, the speed will increase AUTOMATICALLY>

repeated speed tests will only frustrate you.....  so only do one in the morning.. and one in the evening , if you really MUST.

They do not make any difference to the way the line works...

jab1
Legend

@shutter Like all the other experienced individuals who have responded in an attempt to help the OP, you are wasting your typing fingers - he/she knows more than the combined experience of all of us.😉

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum wrote:

So is there any noise on the line, dial 17070 option 2?

You have reported speed tests, but no router stats, a far more reliable and informative help for diagnosis.

The Radius graph shared by @Gandalf  earlier shows how many interruptions your has had over the last few days< DLM will take these as fault conditions and slow your line to try and get a stable speed. Are they all from the time you switched the router off or are there other reasons, such as a noisy line - up to you to check - PN test equipment did not detect when they tested.

@savemedo If there’s anything to take away from the above posts, it’s this and to leave your router on 24/7 moving forward. It’s possible that not all the drops were you switching your router off and on. Identifying if that’s the case and checking your router stats may be a good next step before calling out an engineer. 

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Unhelpful post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

savemedo
Grafter

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Ping 167

Down 0.72mb

up 0mb

I AM listening to the advise from the staff, the router has now been on for nearly 40 hours, although the router info page says 10 hours for some reason?

Look, I'm doing what has been advised and waiting to see if the system stops throttling me (call it what you will "DTM" or whatever) and I really don't want to report a line fault, and risk a bill, until every other avenue has been explored.

speed test 1.jpg

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

It’s possible your connection may have dropped by itself 10 hours ago. Can you post up your router stats?

savemedo
Grafter

Hi Thrall

"router stats"

Where would I find "router states?

I'm a plug and play guy!