cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Slow Slow....

savemedo
Grafter

Slow Slow Slow....

I phoned Plusnet last week to tell them that I would be moving to Shell when my contract ends at the end of April, since then my ASDL line has slowed to the point where it is hardly working at all.

Today, it is failing to load BT speed test, and fails the Ofcom test with "there is a problem with your Broadband connection"

Could someone at Plusnet PLEASE have a look at my line?

Pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

84 REPLIES 84
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: SLOW SLOW SLOW....

@savemedo There is no need to tell PN you are leaving (unless you wish to keep your email address) - all transfers are Gaining Provider Lead - in other words, Shell would handle all the notifications &c.

You appear to be indicating that you having told PN you are leaving has caused this - it won't have, it is most likely a network issue. Which router are you using?

I doubt you will get much response from the PN Help Team on here, they are conspicuous by their absence, but fellow Community members can possibly help.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @savemedo 

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. I've tested your line today and I can see your broadband connection is dropping heavily to a point that it's barely actually on which has triggered the automated dynamic line management (DLM) software at the exchange to restrict your speed down to 0.5mbps.

I've attached a copy of your connection below showing the drops:

Line tests aren't showing the cause for this though, so I'd recommend going through some troubleshooting steps explained Here and if you're still having issues, please raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net posting back afterwards so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Once the drops are sorted, we can reset the settings on your line to return your speed back to normal, however we cant reset your line before then as your speed will likely drop back down again automatically because of the drops.

@jab1 I was actually typing my response as you posted Wink

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Sorry, @Gandalf , I forgot you were around. Thanks for picking this up.Smiley

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @jab1 I'm used to being forgotten about. Smiley

Joking aside, back to fixing problems. @savemedo let us know how you get on with the checks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
savemedo
Grafter

Hi thanks for the replies

I contacted plusnet to try and get a discount, they ask "talk to us" on the renewal section in my account, so I did.

They offer me £2 off 18.99 instead of 20.99 (IIRC) which is good and I'm considering staying, the switch to Shell would be under £14 according to MoneySavingExpert. They can't give me the discount for new users because it is from a third party, which is why I have to change ISP every sodding year, yes I'm a skinflint!

I have always got 17mb + with BT wholesale, whoever supplied it (ADSL)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @savemedo 

The discussion you've had with regards to moving your service away would be unrelated to the issues you're having. 

Can you carry out the steps above and let us know how it goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
savemedo
Grafter

I don't know why this slow down is happening, I have the standard plusnet router, I have four or five in fact from the other contracts over the years!

Sagemcom 2704n

As I say rock steady 17mb + (always)

I have been trying to upgrade Windows 10 1909 to 20h2 Since Friday and have had no luck at all could that be the problem?

jab1
Legend

No-one else does either, @savemedo which is why @Gandalf has asked to to complete the steps he outlined above.Your problem with the W10 update is related, but only because DLM has throttled you D/L in an attempt to salvage the connection.

John
savemedo
Grafter

Hi again,

All the phone stuff, wall socket and leads etc have been the same since I moved into this flat (2010) nothing has changed, apart from getting a BT cordless phone a few weeks ago.

I am on the test socket, but I always have been.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @savemedo 

Ah OK. No problem. Can you raise a fault and post back so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
savemedo
Grafter

Is that going to cost me?

maybe I should get the high speed fibre thing while they are at it?

The normal 17mb is enough really, but everyone wants more, don't they!

Six weeks left on my contract?

What to do, hmmm?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@savemedo We would only charge you for an engineer call out in the following instances

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of Openreach equipment within your property and its boundary, or if no fault is found, you will be charged £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

Ideally we don't want a visit to be chargeable so we'd ask you to carry out troubleshooting steps. If your router's in the test socket, there's no extension cabling between the test socket and your router, and your router's left switched on 24/7 (i.e. you're not turning it off when you're not using it) then you'll have covered everything you can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
savemedo
Grafter

I'll try plugging one of the old Plusnet Routers in and see what happens, I think they reconfigure themselves to the current account, don't they?

jab1
Legend

@savemedo That will not solve the problem - you need to do as @Gandalf asked, and raise a fault to enable BTOR to investigate.

John