cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet

Topcy
Dabbler

Slow Internet

I am told once again that the slow internet speed is due to a bad telephone line.  I have had two engineers advise me that they is no fault on the line.  I have booked for a third engineer to look at the line again.  I have no confidence that they will find the fault when the other two could not.  Looks like I will have to go to a cable supplier if the so called fault on the telephone line can not be resolved. Do PlusNet really want my business?  Crazy
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Slow Internet

The notes on the account state that there was audible noise on the call you made to us and that both yourself, and our advisor could hear it. Is that not the case?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Topcy
Dabbler

I accept there was a noise.  There has been a noise on the line before  but when the engineers tested the line they said there was no fault.  So why are they going to find it when they come next time? Crazy
cedlor
Grafter

There is no guarantee - intermittant line faults are very difficult to trace. Sometimes a fault can be "cured" by the current (from an incoming call) passing  through a cracked joint..
What sort of error rates and drops do your stats show?
Topcy
Dabbler

It has been dropping since last night and it is now down to 0.34 megabits!  So struggling even to surf the net  Crazy
cedlor
Grafter

I am afraid that tells us very little - can you post the stats? , the reslt of a BTW speedtest and the PN speed - see my link below.
If you have a mobile try ring your landline a few times - no need to answer it of course.:)
Topcy
Dabbler

I have rung the land line a few times from my mobile.  The results of the BTW test are:
Test 1.  Download 2,47 Mbps, Upload 0.75 Mbps, Ping 62.75ms
Test 2.  Download 0.15 Mbps. Upload 0.52 Mbps. Ping 58.50ms
Test 3.  Download 0.27 Mbps. Upload 0.20 Mbps. Ping 134.63ms
As you can see the speeds are all far too low 
Topcy
Dabbler

Virtually no broadband speed this morning.  Unable to download the Sunday papers. Waiting for some positive response and action from Plusnet to restore my broadband.  How long do I have to wait for some action be taken to restore my broadband?  Still waiting for an appointment for a engineer to visit me. Crazy Crazy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your connection has been up and connected for over 2 days without a disconnection. What's the noise on the line like now? That's the first thing to resolve as any issues on the phone service can cause knock-on issues for the broadband. I've just replied to the fault ticket too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Topcy
Dabbler

The speed has been good for since Sunday afternoon.  However, there was a blip just now when the speed went down.  I then put a corded  phone in the socket.  There was no crackle and the speed went back to normal.  I have now put the cordless phone in again and the speed is ok but there is a crackle on the line.  Do you think it is worth my while to get an new cordless phone?
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would suspect your cordless system is faulty. Cordless phones have a base station that have a power supply connected to the mains. IT is likely that the  power supply  is interferring with your phone line circuit .  if you hear no crackle and noise when you use a corded phone,  try a new cordless phone .
tmoscrop
Dabbler

Hi Topcy,
It is very likely that your cordless phone could be causing an intermittent loop condition on the line. If you aren't detecting a crackle from the corded handset, this points to a fault with the cordless. Any faulty device connected to the phone line can cause the signal to be disrupted. Please let us know if this problem persists following full removal of the cordless handset from the phone line.
Topcy
Dabbler

I have replaced my cordless phone with at the weekend.  There is now no crackle and the speeds seem to back to normal, so lets hope that the old phone was the problem.
Thanks for your help Cheesy