cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet with desktop connected to router via Ethernet cable

speaker2animals

Slow Internet with desktop connected to router via Ethernet cable

Hi,

I have been helping a visually impaired friend who has complained that accessing the Internet is slow.

speedtest.net shows ping 43ms, download 5.2mbps, upload 0.67mbps.

On calling the help desk I was advised to change the WiFi channel from auto select to a specific channel (6) on the basis this would resolve the slow Internet speeds.

I challenged this and stressed that the desktop computer is connected directly to the router with an Ethernet cable and WiFi is NOT being used but was still advised to change the WiFi channel.

I was then advised to wait a few days for the change to take effect.

can anyone comment as to whether changing the WiFi channel would make a difference to Broadband speeds when WiFi is not being used?

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow Internet with desktop connected to router via Ethernet cable

@speaker2animals Welcome to the forums. If it is a direct ethernet connection to a desktop? the Wi-Fi channel should have no effect - very few desktop machines have a Wi-Fi card installed.

Is it possible to also confirm this is an ADSL - not FTTC connection?

Further comments to follow after your answer.

John
speaker2animals

Hi,

Yes, it is a direct ethernet connection router to desktop running W10 that has been in use for (at least) several years.

FWIW the router looks as if it is a PlusNet Hub Zero.

Thank You! - you have confirmed what I thought - "fixing" a non-existent WiFi problem should have no effect on a Broadband issue.

I suspect it is ADSL but cannot confirm at the moment - I'm not at the property with the issue and don't have access to the relevant account.

Thanks for your comments.

jab1
Legend

OK. PN staff should pick this up. If it is a Hub Zero (2704N) then it will be ADSL - that router is not FTTC compatible.

Are you likely to be at the property at any point in the next 24-36 hours?

John
speaker2animals

I have agreed with my friend that I will check in with him in 2 days time (time for the "fix"?? to have taken effect) to see if there has been any improvement.

At that time I strongly suspect I will be contacting PN again but I will stress more firmly that WiFi is not being used - it will be interesting to see what the next step(s) is/are.

Again,

Thanks for your comments.

jab1
Legend

OK, just hope you get an agent who is more clued-up. As a point of interest, you will find a number of Community members will be able to help - but you may also find that you may need to be sat in front of the machine.

You can always ask on here - we try to help as much as possible.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @speaker2animals and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your friend's having issues with their speeds.

Can you private message me their account username so I can take a closer look?

@jab1 on the contrary the Hub Zero is compatible with FTTC but it'll need a fibre modem to work along side it. Back in the day we used to arrange an engineer to fit an Openreach modem so they may still have this. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

@Gandalf Yep, I know the 2704N can be used on an FTTC connection, but as the OP didn't specify ADSL/FTTC, and the reported figures certainly look to be more in line with an ADSL product, I made an educated guess.😉

Quite happy to leave it to you, though.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@jab1 wrote:

If it is a Hub Zero (2704N) then it will be ADSL - that router is not FTTC compatible.

I was more referring to this comment Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
speaker2animals

Update:

New router supplied courtesy of @Gandalf , installed (including new micro filter).

Left to stabilise for a few days….

Ran speed test again - actually worse than before! Download = 0.86mbps Upload = 0.67mbps

Contacted help desk again - much better experience, their tests show no line problems but the log shows lots of drops.

Engineer due to visit - hopefully something will be found…