cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet at Night since joining

pwm1990

Slow Internet at Night since joining

Since joining my internet had been considerably slow especially at night. I only have three devices that are connected to WiFi. Sky box, my phone and laptop.

It is frustrating to use any as shows/music are unwatchable or listenable due to buffering.

I ran a line test myself and it showed a higher speed capability but it makes no sense that it’s slow as WIFI bars are always full.

Please help
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Slow Internet at Night since joining

@pwm1990  Welcome to the forum.

As you have posted on the ADSL forum can we assume that you are using a Plusnet Hub Zero router? 

If so these are single band so the first thing to do is to make sure that you are using the best channel. The best way to find out is to use a sniffer app. I use WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone. With this you can check if neighbours are using the same channel. If this is the case then go into your router wireless settings and manually select the least occupied. Alternatively of course you can just select other channels and see if there’s any improvement.

The other thing to know about the Hub Zero is that they suffer from buffer bloat. This means that if you are uploading a large amount of data from one device it kills the download for other devices.

To be honest the Hub Zero is a poor device and the best action is to buy a BT Smarthub 6 from the likes of EBay where they are very cheap. Setting instructions are here.https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

If you have miss posted and have fibre then you will have a Hub One router. These are dual band and the first thing to try is separating the bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Try each band and if you still have problems then advice regarding trying different channels equally applies.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Slow Internet at Night since joining

Hi @pwm1990,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing problems with your connection and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the cause of this problem from here.

Please can you run through the troubleshooting checks that @Baldrick1 has suggested and let us know how you get on?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team