cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow IP profile on fast line for over two weeks

Wolfkeeper
Hooked

Slow IP profile on fast line for over two weeks

I'm currently getting an IP profile of 0.59Mb/s down, whereas the line sync is always over 13Mb/s down. There's no obvious significant numbers of errors on the line. It's been like this for more than two weeks. The IP profile is in the floor, but all the indications are the line is good (the up speed is perfectly normal)
PlusNet did a SNR reset this morning, and the line sync speed jumped up to 18Mb/s and it seems to be maintaining itself at that level, but the IP profile hasn't budged. It seems, on the face of it, unlikely that this would fix it; if 2.5 weeks at 13Mb/s hasn't fixed it, why would 18 Mb/s?Huh
What seems to have triggered this, is that I was forced to use an ancient Voyager ADSL modem on the line, this could only sync at low speeds; 0.59 Mb/s was an accurate assessment at that point. I could kinda-sorta understand how that could take some time to recover, but what I don't understand is why it would still be running that after more than 2 weeks at 13Mb/s line speed and no significant line errors??? Something has gone wrong.
Will the SNR reset give the IP profile a kick over the next 3 days or do I have another problem? This is all incredibly frustrating.
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Slow IP profile on fast line for over two weeks

Wolfkeeper,
Welcome to the forums.
There are three possibilities here...
- the BT profile might not have updated - these are known to get stuck at times - this needs PN intervention
- the BT profile delta has not yet been applied by the PN systems - this is automated and can get delayed.  This will most likely sort itself out or PN might poke it
- if both of the above have happened, you will not benefit from the revisions without a drop of PPP session - sometimes the PN automated script updates the profile but does not drop PPP
Can you please do the following and report back
If you are using the PN supplied TG582n router, go to here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/is/_pppoa_/ov/?be=0&l0=2&l1=2&name=Internet - click the disconnect and then afterwards click connect - this will "refresh" the PPP session
Perform a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally over a wired connection) - do the further diagnostics - see http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Look up the current line speed on the PlusNet portal - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

The above will show what problem you are looking at.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Wolfkeeper
Hooked

OK it is indeed a TG582n router, I reset the PPP, the BT Wholesale test gives:
---------------------------------------
Results
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.65 Mbps

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.59 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.78 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.78Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
-------------------------------------
The line speed check on PlusNet portal gives:
------------------------------------
Telephone number:
  <omitted>
Phone exchange:
   <omitted>
Estimated line speed:
   17Mb (This may vary between 15.5Mb and 18.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-10-10 20:49:18
Current line speed:
   17.2 Mb
---------------------------------------
FWIW the stats on the line currently are (n.b. a few errors are on the line since the SNR reset today, it's probably going to slow down a bit, I doubt 18.5 M is sustainable on this line, it was running clean at 13.5 M yesterday):

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 7:30:56
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,279 / 18,571
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 337.77 / 5.62
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.2 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.3 / 6.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 34 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 54 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 29 / 19
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 26 / 87
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Something is quite squiffy here.
The PN profile is in the right ball park for the synch speed, but is not right.  It indicates that the synch speed is lower than what it has been.
The BT profile is totally screwed, is not reflective of the current synch speed at all.  BT bRAS profiles getting stuck is a reoccurring issue which no one quite understands.  That needs attention from PlusNet / BTOR.
So it is over to CRT now...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Indeed there is something not quite right here.
I want to double check that I am looking at the right account because your connections look intermittent at best and I'm unable to get any detailed information from BT wholesale's testing platform.
Could you please PM me your username so that I can double check it all?
If I do have the right account, we might have another problem to solve first.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Wolfkeeper
I doubt 18.5 M is sustainable on this line, it was running clean at 13.5 M yesterday):
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.2 / 20.5

For this line's attenuation (1,4km), you could expect to see over 20Mbps in ideal conditions.  However, seems that Tony has an itch which needs scratching when you have confirmed the account ID to him.
Kevin

Wolfkeeper
Hooked

Yes, I'm trying to sort this out for my father. My father's account name is "rogerwoollard".
After an SNR reset the line speed did indeed settle down over 20 Mbit/s which should have been brilliant but the IP profile didn't budge.
A fault was indicated at the exchange, and BTOpenworld were apparently deployed and did something, and the IP profile bounced back, full speed returned.
However, when I visit my father again, a month later, it has collapsed back down to 0.6Mb/s down speed..
Plusnet have done another SNR reset, and the line speed has dipped to 18M, but the IP profile is unchanged. It's not remotely broadband.
I've tried the obvious things, power cycling and resetting things, I switched in a new line filter, used a shorter, newer line from the splitter to the ADSL modem but nothing. He's got the old 'telephone plate' with a splitter plugged in. No extension cables are in use. There's no obvious noise on the line when I pick up the phone. Last month I tried unplugging the phone for a few hours so only the splitter and modem were on the line but nothing changed.
The IP profile seems to be restricting the line to about 1/30th the speed it probably should be getting. My father had to download something big while I was away, a few hundred megabytes, apparently it took a couple of hours to download; probably should have taken a few minutes at most.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

There was a profile mismatch on our suppliers systems which has now been sorted.
Can you try getting your father to retest it and see if the issue is still happening?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Wolfkeeper
Hooked

Yes, I just tested it; it's now looking fantastic,  I'm getting 16/1 Mbps and it may get even faster, they just did a resync Cheesy
Very many thanks, Smiley
jim:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Wolfkeeper
After an SNR reset the line speed did indeed settle down over 20 Mbit/s which should have been brilliant but the IP profile didn't budge.
A fault was indicated at the exchange, and BTOpenworld were apparently deployed and did something, and the IP profile bounced back, full speed returned.
However, when I visit my father again, a month later, it has collapsed back down to 0.6Mb/s down speed..
Plusnet have done another SNR reset...

Good to hear that the line performance has been restored.  However, repeated SNRM resets should not be needed.  When you next visit, it would be wise to check out the quality of the phone line - dial 17070 option 2 - it should be silent.
Also does your father turn the router off at night?  It is best to leave it switched on all of the time.

Wolfkeeper
Hooked

The line seems to be silent when I do the quiet line test.
My father leaves the router on at night.
Anyway, it's still looking good, fingers crossed.
dick:quote