Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTTC speeds since today....

vimesuk
Grafter

Slow FTTC speeds since today....

Hi
My connection is usually very stable and consistent. Up to a couple of weeks ago my router had been connected for close to ninety days without a drop (although with having to make changes with certain ports etc I needed to reboot the router about to weeks ago).
From this afternoon though my speeds have been really bad with speed tests coming from a consistent 58Mb/sec to around  8Mb/sec.
BT Speedtest: Download 6.52 Mbps, Upload 14.68Mbps

Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    61.2 Mb
This is with a wired connection and nothing at my end has changed.
I have tried to ring customer support today (in the queue still now) but I just get canned music for a very long time, at least it seems like that with the music..!
Could someone please have a look at this, I can't keep waiting for someone to answer the phone for too long.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
itsfine
Dabbler

Re: Slow FTTC speeds since today....

Me too.  Have been having speeds between 74 and 78 but now down to 8 or 9 today. Phoned support and waited 45 mins but no suggestions offered.
vimesuk
Grafter

I got that fed up of singing along to the canned music that I gave up and for the very first time since I have had FTTC I decided to power the router and the BT box down and leave it for a minute or so. Powering up the BT box first it established a connection and then powering up my router it did the same. The result is that my speeds have returned, hopefully for good Smiley
Hope that it keeps like this and the best of luck to you as well Smiley
itsfine
Dabbler

There must have been something going wrong yesterday looking at the customer service stats, but it would be helpful if they would admit it.  I did the usual re-booting  without effect.  Speeds seem to be back to near normal today for me.  I hope for everyone else as well.
vimesuk
Grafter

To be frank I was more concerned with the inability to talk to an agent. I have rarely needed to talk to Plusnet and if yesterday was anything to go by I doubt that I would be able to do just that.
Not sure if I should be concerned or not but BT are moving our pole and have already positioned a new one (it will be moved about 10 metres due to them going through our sewer when they fitted a new one). Hopefully the engineers will not compromise my speeds or stability when they do their gubbins.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi vimesuk & itsfine,
Sorry for you wait in getting through, I can't see any issues that caused your line to be slow. Glad to see that it's improved now though.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Interesting to note that there seemd as though there were a couple of short drops on one of the gateways last night just after midnight, another smaller one on another gateway around 0300 - which might have been all due to maintenance somewhere, but there appeared to be another on a different gateway - ptn-ag04, just before 0900 today. But I'm not convinced that all these weren't just graphical reporting glitches.