cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTTC Since Housemove

philm
Dabbler

Slow FTTC Since Housemove

One for the PlusNet staff to see what they can do!
Been with PlusNet years now, and have recently moved. Before I had FTTC running about 72mb. I have now moved about 100m up the street (away from the cabinet) and have just had FTTC reinstalled by the home move team/open reach.
Now I realise that vDSL gets slower the further you move away from the cabinet, and I'm sure the cable run is all over the place and not the most direct route, but my new speed is rubbish!
The estimator before I put my move order in was expecting ~55mb, which is acceptable given the increased distance. And even now for my phone number in the BT Infinity checker (and several others), shows 39-55mb as the estimated
But I am currently connected at ~33mb. :(.
I did get a message from the home move people that due to me changing my install dates, they would have to manually increase my speed, but this would be done within a day or so.
I rang support to have them check this out, and they tried to change the IP Profile but said they couldn't, so I must be connected at the fastest speed already. I'm not convinced!
Any ideas guys? I am disappointed with 33mb, when various estimates show 39-55mb. Is it a case that my FTTC account hasn't been set to an 80/20 service since the move?
Cheers
Phil
9 REPLIES 9
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Slow FTTC Since Housemove

What's your Current Line Speed from the Member Centre?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is a heck of a drop - I wonder if the actual wire goes round the houses before reaching you
Note that Current Line Speed may be 78Mbps otherwise your speed test result would probably be a bit lower
philm
Dabbler

Current line speed from the members centre is 37.4Mb.
Forgot to mention these results are all wired with cat5 between the PC and router.
Thanks
philm
Dabbler

Any Plusnet staff able to have a quick look for me since support don't seem able to get anywhere?
I suspect I haven't been upgraded to 80/20 since my order for house move?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't think that your suspicion is correct as the upstream IP profile is 20Mb so the problem isn't related to the provision of 40/10 as opposed to 80/20
philm
Dabbler

Thanks Jim.
Something is not right, as I get an email saying my order needs something manually doing to it to increase the speed to the correct fibre speeds after the OR appointment. The tech support guys I rang didn't seem to know what it was and were unable to change any settings for the IP Profile.
And my line speed is well below that of any estimate for my phone number, including the one plusnet gave me when I ordered, BT Infinity, SamKnows etc.
Be great if one of the PlusNet guys could take a quick look as they seem good at identifying the cause of these issues on this forum! Smiley
Phil
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi philm,
I've just checked all the pivotal stuff in relation to speeds and can't see any obvious issues. The profile on your account is currently set to match that which BT diagnostics are showing me.
I'm going to advise raising a fault over at http://faults.plus.net so we can investigate that further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
philm
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, I have submitted a fault ticket and provided as much information as I can.
I have also over the weekend changed from the new OR DSL Modem that was supplied at installation, to the one from my previous address that was known to be good - again, no difference. I also swapped the RJ11 supplied for a Tandy DSL RJ11 cable, and again, nothing, so all the kit I was given appears serviceable.
I'm hoping there is a fault somewhere as I am disappointed with the connection speed!
leader
Grafter

Having a spare BT Openreach modem is very handy as a fault finding test bed.
Once their unlocked you can see the line stats and use graphing software to monitor the connection 24/7 . [ http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm ]
It can help immensely, when trying to identify a potential line fault.
If its a HG612 you could unlock it, if your comfortable with flashing firmware . If its an ECI then its not so easy. (If not then, both unlocked  HG612 and ECI's crop up on the usual well know auction site.)
Smiley