cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Download and Slow Upload.... AGAIN!!!

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow Download and Slow Upload.... AGAIN!!!

Hi fastonebaz,
As your line is looking so stable I'll reset the SNR to 6dB. I'll check later to see if it's taken effect.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fastonebaz,
Looks like that worked a treat, profile up to 7150k.
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
I checked my speed again today, its same as before, ie slow upload:

I also checked my router again and its showing the same high SNR, also despite it being on 24/7 I notice it says uptime of 1 day which is odd:
Uptime: 1 day, 3:05:52
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Fast
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,144 / 5,632
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,632
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 191.72
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 14.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 458,749 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 524,288 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 1,027
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / NA
speedtester.bt.com says "IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps"

It is quite frustrating that its keeps getting so slow on the upload and I just don't feel I'm getting the service that I'm paying for.  Does it look like something is wrong?
thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fastonebaz,
Is this a wireless speed test?
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

All my speed tests are wireless.  However, i have scanned all the wireless channels and set my rig to use the strongest channel that no one else is using in range, my router and all my pcs/laptops are set to that channel. yet no matter which device I use (PC or 2 x laptop or 1 x iPod or 2 x Android phones) and no matter what my range is, the upload speed is most often around 0.1.  Only after manually restarting the router do i get back up to 0.35 again.  Its almost as if the router runs out of puff after a few hours up time.
another issue is that my download speed is so variable (i know this is mainly/partly due to contention) however during the day is around 2mb whereas in the evening its around 5mb.  It Plusnet restricting my line speed at certain times of the day? I thought my contract was the "Extra" contract meaning I'm not throttled?
thanks for your help,
FoB
fastonebaz
Grafter

Just to illustrate slow upload again today... multiple tests are showing the same speeds:

I was with Orange broadband for 4 years (which according to all forums i ever saw are the worst at broadband) and the speed was stable and fine but I swapped to Plusnet on high recommendation however whilst my ping speed is better and my download is sometimes faster, overall its been worse experience for me so far.
is the router the fault?  perhaps I could try a different router?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fastonebaz,
I reset your line a few weeks back and it worked a treat. Have you changed your set up since then? Are you using the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi JoJo et al,

I've rearranged my house (!) so I now have my Thompson router plugged into my master BT socket in the TEST SOCKET via an ADSL filter provided by PlusNet.  I am hard wired with ethernet cable, not wifi.
I've performed the tests as follows all within about a 10 minute period.
With a Wired connection - speedtest.bt.com says this:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3441 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

With a wired connection - speedtest.net says this:

With a wifi connection - speedtest.net says this:

The wifi connection is with my laptop about 20" away from the router.  If i move into the next room, the upload drops to 0.1mbps which has been my issue all along.  I repeated the wifi tests on 2 x laptops, 1 x brand new PC, 1 x iPod, 1 x HTC Desire and all report the same slow upload speed so i am confident it is not the fault of my device that's the drop in speed. Just using wifi shouldn't result in dropping the speed down to merely 30% of what it is when wired.
Based on these tests it seems to me that there is a fault with the wifi components of the Thompson router.  (I have run all these tests repeatedly over various days / times and always get the same results that upload on wifi is 0.11 or less).
When the upload is down to 0.1mpbs its a noticeably slower browsing experience.  Unfortunately I can't change to a wired connection permenantly as the master socket is in my kitchen and it isn't practical to run cables all round the house Sad
Any suggestions welcome, can I try a different brand of router?
thank you for your help  Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fastonebaz,
I'll see if I can get a replacement Thomson v7 for you. They're quite rare now though. I'll have a look in the morning and post it out if I find one.
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

OK thanks JoJo, incidentily, if the V7 is quite rare now, what do you use as the primary router for customers now?  Couldn't i swap whatever i have for whatever the newest one is?
cheers  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI fastonebaz,
Looking at it, I don't think it's necessarily your router. Your IP Profile is 4500 so the speeds showing are ok. You just need to wait for your profile to pick up, and with a sync a 8128 you should get a profile of 7150. In your earlier post your router reported 5632k which will have caused the 4500 profile.
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

JoJo, I don't quite understand what you are advising me of.
My issue all along has been the slow UPLOAD speed of approx 0.1mb when operating via wifi with numerous different devices tested on numerous occasions ranging from right next to the router to 2 rooms away.
When I plug into the router directly with ethernet cable, the upload speed immediately improves to 0.38mb. 
Therefore I am inclinded to believe that there is some issue in the router that is causing the upload speed to degrade down to only 1/3 of its potential.
This has been the same issue since day one of my connection commencement with PlusNet, and i've been "waiting for the speed to pick up" for many months now.  I believe the router is at fault.  My plan is to source another router to try that.  Is there any way to get PlusNet to send me a replacement to try?  If not I'll have to buy my own.
thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI fastonebaz,
I'll send out a TG585v7. I've managed to get my hands one one or two brand new ones.
Sorry missed the point about the upload
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Thanks for the V7.  It arrived yesterday shiney and new :).  Its all installed no problems and I am finding an immediate improvement on UPLOAD speed using wifi.  Its consistently back to 0.38mpbs on my various devices which is what I'd expect so whilst its early days yet, I'm feeling confident that it was a router issue with the V8 or perhaps just my unit.
However, with the V7 I've only achieved a DOWNLOAD of 1.5mbps at various times (e.g. yesterday evening / today morning) and this makes me concerned as with the v8 i was consistently achieving 4.5mb DOWNLOAD.  You may notice I've purchased the "PRO Add On" to avoid throttling back my connection so I dont understand why I would get slow download now.
Are there any settings in the V7 router that i might need to tweak to ensure I get full download performance?
thanks for your help.
FoB  Tongue
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fastonebaz,
Is the 1.5 via wireless. If so, does the speed improve when you set it up wired?
Jojo Smiley