cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband

ps99

Slow Broadband

I am on the Unlimited Plan with Broadband on a landline. Recently it has been very slow and I have noticed Buffering and slow load of page content.

The Speed Test indicates somewhere from 3.8 to 5 MBPS Download. This is less than half of the indicated 11 MBPS.

My laptop is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

Any ideas why it is slow.?

I tried going through the troubleshooter but it asked if I can hear a Dial Tone. I dont have a landline phone as I got the line put in just for Braodband.

13 REPLIES 13
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Slow Broadband

Invest a fiver for a landline phone; may come in useful for other things too. If landline is noisy, BB Speed
will be poor.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@ps99 Welcome to the forums. As @Gel says, a basic corded phone is an essential tool for fault finding purposes, so I'd pay Argos a quick visit.

If you are on ADSL, which I assume you are, given that you have posted on the ADSL board, and your estimated speed, then I suggest you  follow the guide below:

Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

It may be an idea to also report your lines capabilities - please post your results from THIS site, but ensure your phone number is obscured/hidden.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @ps99. Thank you for reaching out via our Community Forum.

I've run a test on your service from our end which indicates that the line is in sync with broadband speeds around 6.9Mbps. These speeds are coherent with those advised as per your contract, and no faults have been found on the line.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@adam945 

It might be within the limits, but is the line's performance optimal?

What do the error rates look like?

Is the line in anyway banded?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Exactly, @Townman - which I why asked the OP for some details which might make it possible for other community members to possibly help. 😉

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

it would appear that the line is performing at optimal capacity as it is.

A further intrusive line test conducted this afternoon have appeared to show that the line is in sync at around 9Mbps, which is within the estimated speeds for your line. The signal to noise ratio however does appear to be rather high, this has now been amended and will take up to 2 hours to reflect.

If you have any further concerns regarding your connection speeds, please raise a fault with our Technical Support Team by going to faults.plus.net.

-Adam

Adam
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,

Thank you for looking deeper at the metrics.  Resetting the SNRM should increase sync speed, however if it does deteriorate again, the user will need to follow the standard diagnostics process.  That includes checking the quality of the telephone line.  The user having a telephone handset ought to be a service provision condition, as so many issues can be readily identified just by listening to the line for noise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ps99

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have got a landline phone as advised and the line is noisy. 

I am not familiar with some of the terminology so I can not tell you if  the line is banded.

These are the latest figures

Ping 25ms

Jitter 5 ms

Download 5

Upload 0.6

I look forward to your observations.

jab1
Legend

@ps99 If you have noise on the phone line, report a PHONE fault to Plusnet - sorting that will probably sort your broadband problem - it needs to be clear for the BB to work.

Ignore those figures, they are meaningless, but do show your connection is impacted.

Get the phone line sorted.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What does help in situations such as these is posting the stats from the router troubleshooting screen.

Line attenuation / speed / noise margin together inform how your line is performing against the ideal. However they will not indicate the cause of issues anything like as clearly as having a handset to check for a noisy line.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @ps99

This is just to let you know that I've run a test on your phone line, and a potential fault has been found. I've raised this with our Suppliers and have created a Ticket with our Technical Support Team for them to monitor this, and to keep you updated.

You can also see the open Ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=214456622

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@adam945 

Really great that a subsequent (different ?) test has detected a fault which was not identified by the test reported in post #7.

Do you have any reflections on why this fault was not detected by the test run previously?  Does this point to a learning opportunity / a change in test methods ... or does this simply look like the characteristic of an intermittent wet joint fault? There when you don't look and gone when you do!

It is more than possible that at the time of a test, a marginal fault might have self rectified (literally) and when tested report NFF, however the elevated SNRM ought to have hinted to there being something a drift here.

All that said, the acid test was the user listening to the phone line.  Such is why having a handset - irrespective of the desire to make phone calls - is absolutely essential.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The issues originally reported appeared to centre around the broadband asset, and the SNR ratio.

After the user described their phone service as being noisy, we've run a test to find that there is in fact an issue with the phone service. The appropriate actions have now been taken and the issue should be resolved shortly.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam