Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband and no help from Plusnet

stevew10000
Grafter

Re: Slow Broadband and no help from Plusnet

Thanks Anotherone and  tstaddon,
both posts are really helpful.
Just begs the question if the fault is with BT or OR, why don't PlusNet say so? An explanation along the lines of, sorry for your problem, undoubtedly it is due to BT/Open Reach, they are a law unto themselves but we'll chase them. Would be preferable to having to constantly run speed tests and raising an expectation that PlusNet are able to remedy the problem.
The cynic in me says PlusNet would not criticise BT (their supplier) as BT is also their primary shareholder.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The cynic in me agrees with you, at least in a Public Forum. But to be fair, behind the scenes, with the right people involved, BTw do get a kick when it's justified.
chuckster
Grafter

Quote from: tstaddon
Take it from me as a CUSTOMER not a vested interest.... almost every time* I've had problems with my broadband, it's been due to something on the BT infrastructure side - congested exchange, workmen messing about in the street cabinet, copper cabling being nicked, new street lights causing RF interference. But in all those cases, it's either been me or someone at PlusNet who's diagnosed the problem. BT are monumentally incompetent in so many ways, you really do have to teach them to suck eggs.

Truer words have never been spoken!!
In all my previous cases it's either been someone messing around in the cabinet or in the Exchange.
chuckster
Grafter

Quote from: stevew10000
Just begs the question if the fault is with BT or OR, why don't PlusNet say so? An explanation along the lines of, sorry for your problem, undoubtedly it is due to BT/Open Reach, they are a law unto themselves but we'll chase them. Would be preferable to having to constantly run speed tests and raising an expectation that PlusNet are able to remedy the problem.

Am guessing that PlusNet are trying to be more professional and not badmouth a third-party.  As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the BT sales guy seemed to have a blatant low opinion of PlusNet.  Maybe this is just them trying to keep a better image.
If there is a definitive issue requiring a third-party to intervene, you should be told though, if for no other reason than you know that PlusNet are not at fault in this.  I guess that definitive answer is still being sought.
stevew10000
Grafter

Am guessing that PlusNet are trying to be more professional and not badmouth a third-party.  As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the BT sales guy seemed to have a blatant low opinion of PlusNet.  Maybe this is just them trying to keep a better image.
If there is a definitive issue requiring a third-party to intervene, you should be told though, if for no other reason than you know that PlusNet are not at fault in this.  I guess that definitive answer is still being sought.

Would also help perceptions of PlusNet, i.e. "I have had a shocking experience with broadband recently, my IPS has been really good in trying to get it resolved with BT etc... " the reference to 'being a law unto themselves" was a bit tongue in cheek, but some carefully crafted words could convey the relevant message.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
lexusuk
Grafter

@stevew10000,
I have updated your support ticket.  In summary, your line has been connected for over 6 days solidly at 8128kbps.  BT IP profile and our network profile are at 7150kbps and the VP is green.  This means that both the Openreach and Wholesale segments of the network at least appear perfectly configured from the testing our side.  The BT speed test results you are seeing don't appear to be accurate (a result of 0kbps is definitely a bad reading) and so it might be an idea to test at Speedtest.net for comparison.  I recommend using the Manchester (Xilo) and London (Namesco) locations as these tend to give us the most accurate results for FTTx testing so they should have no issues testing an 8Mbps line.
Let us know how you get on.