Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband Speeds

PARAMEDIC1
Hooked

Slow Broadband Speeds

Hi all,

Not greatly internet savvy . But i have a problem highlighted by this current cv19 crisis. I am having to work from home supporting operational paramedics within my trust using a work laptop. I am not on fibre, and the expected Plusnet speed for my postcode is 14mbps down load, and 1mbps upload. I would expect some drop off, maybe down to 10mbps.. The laptop is constantly stuttering and dropping signal, something i haven't experienced with my pc or with recent use of Netflix.

On testing the speed of my own pc and the work laptop, they are both around the 6.51 download and 0.86 for upload. Pc having full signal strength wifi and laptop connected to the router via an ethernet cable for this test.

My phone signal is good. My laptop/pc are being used in a room within 8ft of the router. I am unable to disconnect the router and plug into the tester plug, as the router connection is wired into the socket by an engineer i had visit a few years ago after another problem.

I tried to contact Plusnet help yesterday evening. The chat line was off line, i waited on the technical support line for about 8 minutes and gave up. My router is a 2704n.

Anyone with any advice please ?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: slow broadband speeds

@PARAMEDIC1 Welcome to the forums. If you normally get 14Mb/s download and this has started recently, have a look at this link, carry out as much of testing as you can and post the requested information https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501

PN staff availability is a bit restricted at the moment, but if you can provide as much information as possible, maybe someone on here can advise.

FYI - your upload at .86mb/s is fairly good for ADSL.

John
PARAMEDIC1
Hooked

Hi john,

Thanks for your swift response.

The 14mb/s is only what was stated on the plusnet estimated speed for my postcode looking online yesterday.i am unsure if we have ever had that speed, and only checked due to this recent problem.

We have used Plusnet for the past 14 years at this address, and always satisfied with the result. We don't play internet games and only recently started to view Netflix, thanks to enforced time at home of late. Unsure of the promised/estimated speed when we first signed up a it was such a long time ago..

I will attempt to make the further tests you have suggested and reply back.

Many thanks

Andrew

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

jab1
Legend

Cheers Andrew. I suggest you turn the CAPS lock off, though - all caps posts are against forum rules (and also bad etiquette) 😉

John
PARAMEDIC1
Hooked

Ooohps, sorry about the caps. Force of habit I'm afraid.  Apologies all.

I have tried the laptop WiFi, results of 2.65 download, and 0.77 upload.  On ethernet to router I had 1.64 download and 0.77  upload. That may have included a person then starting to look at Youtube though. I now have 1 on Facebook. and 2 upstairs looking at Youtube .Unable to plug router or laptop into test socket as the router is connected into the main socket, unable to remove...

jab1
Legend

Apology accepted.😉

Those figures look dire, but (1) which router are you using and (2) these tests should ideally be run wired, with no other equipment in use.

A picture of your connection would be useful, as it sounds as there is no filter to split the phone and BB signal - which will have very detrimental effects on the performance.

John
PARAMEDIC1
Hooked

Thanks John,

The router is a 2704N, the one with the flashy lights at the top of the front and the Plusnet logo at the bottom. 

The BT engineer that connected the wires in after some previous issues, can't recall what , suggested not using a filter, so a cable runs straight from the router into the top of the socket, with the bottom part of the socket has a connection for the phone line. I think we moved the filter upstairs for the phone line there.

I must admit the speeds were much worse then when tested yesterday, but i had fewer people on the internet then. 

Andrew

jab1
Legend

Cheers Andrew. That set-up you describe does not sound optimal - any chance of a picture?

Could you also supply the Router statistics referred to in the link I gave you, and the results of a BT Spreedtest (the advanced one)?

John
PARAMEDIC1
Hooked

Hi John,

Apologies for delay. dragging myself from almost luddite to the 20th Century.

The WiFi PC numbers were Ping 140, download 4.2 and upload 0.87. My work laptop Ping was 71 and download 5.10 and upload 0.87, but laptop was with ethernet lead.

Hope these are the figures you needed...IMG_20200606_154938_resized_20200606_041041429.jpg

jab1
Legend

Picture OK thanks - but the engineer should never have wired it that way - you MUST have a filter to split the BB and phone signal, and from my very limited knowledge, there is no way inside that box to split them.

Can you get the router statistics? - a screen-shot wold be best.

John
jab1
Legend

@MisterW Any comments/suggestions? I'm struggling.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jab1  I'll try but I've never used a Hub zero.

@PARAMEDIC1  First thing we need is the adsl line stats. I think you get them via Device Info >Statistics >xDSL when logged into the router.

Only thing is I'm not sure if thery're only obtainable from the expert user page facility  http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html so if you can't find them on the normal menus then try that link and then see if additional menus are available.

Get a screen dump and post it here, redact any username or other personal info before posting.

Form that picture , it would appear that you have a filtered faceplate fitted.  This has an inbuilt filter which filters any phone sockets ( assuming they've been wired correctly to the faceplate ) so any other sockets shouldnt need filters. It IS possible to get to the test socket if necessary but we wont go there yet...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Query was more about the wiring - I'm sure you shouldn't wire the router straight into the socket like that?

Thanks for what you posted though - I'll bear it in mind.

Thanks for the edit - It just looked weird to me.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1  sorry , I was editing my post to include details of how I believe its wired

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1  Thanks for the edit - It just looked weird to me

Yes its difficult to see the join in the photo between the filtered faceplate and the master socket backplate, but any faceplate with a separate dsl (rj11) socket has got to be filtered.

If the stats dont look too good , then the first step would be to remove(unscrew) the bottom half of the faceplate, that should disconnect all the phone sockets if its been wired correctly.