cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband Speed Since Openreach Works on Their Equipment Cabinet 1/4 Mile away in early June16

FIXED
DaveyP91
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Slow Broadband Speed Since Openreach Works on Their Equipment Cabinet 1/4 Mile away in early June16

Dear PlusNet Team,

Can you please investigate why my broadband speed has dropped so low and remained low since Openreach Works (new ducting etc) to one of their cabinets 1/4 mile from my home  were completed  at the start of June 2016. Prior to these works I was able to watch bbc i player/itv hub etc online but now my connection is too slow for this.  When I signed up in October 2015 I was sent a speed estimate from PlusNet :-

About your Plusnet account

Your estimated broadband speed is 7 Mbps
(This may vary between 4.5Mb and 11Mb)

I have run the BT speed test repeatedly over the last few weeks and keep getting similar results:-

FAQ

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

0.25 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is
0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is -
0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

1.03 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.03Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

Can you please reset the  IP Profile  to the speed it was at prior to June 2016 when I had no speed problems

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
nabs
Dabbler

Re: Slow Broadband Speed Since Openreach Works on Their Equipment Cabinet 1/4 Mile away in early Ju

Wow that's a horrendous speed! 
I'm wondering if BT have screwed up your wiring in the cabinet causing you line to be unstable?
The way I understand ASDL (which I assume your on) is that it gradually reduces you IP Profile until it can maintain a stable connection. Resetting it may resolve the issue temporarily but if there is a fault on the line it will eventually be reduced back down to the snails pace you currently have.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Slow Broadband Speed Since Openreach Works on Their Equipment Cabinet 1/4 Mile away in early Ju

Looking at your connection logs shows that your line is disconnecting a lot more than it should be, it's likely these disconnections have caused the exchange equipment to increase the SNR on your line to stabilise it, however doing this does cause the speed to drop.

Is there any noise on your phone line when you pick it up? Are you connected to the master socket without using an extension lead? At the moment with that amount of disconnections, making any changes to increase the speed on your line is simply going to cause a lot more disconnections so we need to understand what's causing the problem first.

Although testing your line isn't actually showing many errors, which is odd as normally we'd see a higher number of errors on a line dropping out that often.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 22.6 38.5
SNR Margin: 5.8 16.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 46908 144522
Speed: 1228 283

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 6240 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4992
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 1334 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 474
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 86400

Due to this I'm going to try and reset your line, however if you continue to have problems I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DaveyP91
Hooked

There is no noise on my phone line and the router is connected to the master socket. All these problems only started after the openreach works on their cabinet in the road next to the one I live in.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you try a single disconnect/reconnect now you should hopefully see an improvement.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DaveyP91
Hooked

Fix

Download speed has increased to 6.21 and upload is 1.08. If it stays at this level will be much better.

Thanks Chris