cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow (0.4Mbps) upload, fine download, line capped?

nicolawong91

Slow (0.4Mbps) upload, fine download, line capped?

I've been facing a serious upload issue on my line for months now, and recently came across a thread with a very similar problem to mine here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136409.0.html
In short, I used to have a very noisy line, but an engineer came out and sorted that. Now my download speeds are far better but the upload has never improved. Its so bad that uploading a single file completely destroys download speed.
I'm hoping that like the linked poster, I just have my upload speed capped because of the previous line issue, and that that can be removed. If a PlusNet staffer could weigh in that would be appreciated! Thanks.
Router Statistics (with personal lines removed):
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 01:09:38
7 - Data rate: 440/17646
8 - Maximum data rate: 888/19352
9 - Noise margin: 30.6/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 11.0/25.0
12 - Data sent/received: 12.8M/218.1M
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: Wong WiFi
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Slow (0.4Mbps) upload, fine download, line capped?

Looks like it's capped on our suppliers systems.
I've placed a order to uncap it which will complete tomorrow and should give you a boost.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nicolawong91

Hi Matthew, the upload speed improved to about 0.6 - 0.8 but it is still too slow for us to use the internet if anyone is uploading anything like photos or videos. Are there any other avenues that can be explored?
Thank you,
Nicola
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The stats you posted earlier, have the maximum upload rate of 888k, which looks like interleaving is enabled for the upstream (the 888k rate is often a limit seen when the upstream interleaving depth is 8). Interleaving makes the connection more stable, switching interleaving off might give slightly more upload speed (the speed might be about 1000k). It's surprising interleaving would be needed on a line as fast as yours.
However, even if you did get slightly more upload speed, uploading large photos or video will still take a long time. The Plusnet 2704N router seems to do a very poor job of keeping your Internet connection usable for other activity while uploading at full speed. I collected together some of the previous threads last time the issue was raised.
You could:
If possible, limit the upload speed in the software doing the uploading. Your Internet connection should then remain more usable, although the uploads would take even longer to finish.
Or, use a different router. Unfortunately I can't recommend any particular models that manage this situation better.
nicolawong91

Something strange has happened - our downstream speed has sunk to 1.08 and the upload is 0.12mbps with the ethernet cable and it is 0.4 downstream/0.1 upstream without the cable. Can this be investigated?
Kind regards,
Nicola
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Something is very broken, you'll have to run through the standard fault troubleshooting steps, probably starting with checking if the telephone still works.