cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slooooooooooooow :(

hpares
Dabbler

Slooooooooooooow :(

Hello, Since yesterday afternoon I appear to be experiencing very slow speeds, I thought it might just have been high contention on a Sunday but this morning its the same again Sad
I think the bt speedtester results say it all really (see attached image):
Sync rate 20112 Kbps
IP profile 17744 Kbps
Download speed 292 Kbps
  Angry
Router stats are (downstream):
Connection speed: 20112 Kbps
Line attenuation: 12 db
Noise Margin: 3db

Router is a Netgear DG834GT.
Any ideas as to what is causing my slow speeds? My connection is nice and stable.
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slooooooooooooow :(

Hi hpares,
I've ran diagnostics and I can't see what could be causing that. Do you have another router you could try? Could you also try rebooting your router for me please?
Jojo Smiley
hpares
Dabbler

Hi JoJo, Thanks for your reply. I did reboot yesterday, but I'll give it a shot again now and see if it helps. I do have another router, but this one has been very good up until yesterday.
It seems like the slow speeds are intermittent, sometimes its fine then the speed just drops, almost seems like its ok for 10mins then the next 10mins will be slow and so on  Sad
... I'll do a reboot and post my results later.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks hpares. Appreciated Smiley
hpares
Dabbler

router rebooted and still no joy  Sad
Still getting an intermittent speed, some web pages time out its that slow.
Speedtester results are marginally higher than before but still slow, and like I said its intermittent anyway:
DSL connection rate: 19940 Kbps
IP profile: 17592 Kbps
Download speed: 1042 Kbps
Router stats:
Connection speed: 19940 Kbps
Attenuation: 13 db
Noise Margin: 1db (keeps switching between 1-3 db)
I'll probably leave it until tomorrow and see what its doing. If its still slow I'll try another router.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hpares,
I'm a bit flummoxed by that, to be honest. Let me know how you get on with the other router.
Jojo Smiley
hpares
Dabbler

Well speeds were no better today, so I've just switched to another router (Thompson Speedtouch 516) which seems to be working as it should and my speeds appear to be back to normal.
So if the connection stays fine, then I guess the Netgear DG834GT router was to blame, that would be the 2nd router that I've found has problems on my line (other was Zoom X6) and the only one that has worked fine is the Speedtouch 516 which is unfortunately just wired (no wireless). I always used a wired connection for my PC anyway so that's not a problem, but I like to have wireless for my smartphone etc.
The strange thing is the ZoomX6 and Netgear DG834GT both worked almost flawlessly at my previous property but not here? I guess there must be some incompatibility with the exchange? I know the Netgear has a Broadcom chipset as does the Speedtouch so I thought their performance would be very similar.
I might try upgrading the firmware on the Netgear at some point (it currently running 2nd newest version), but it did actually work fine for about a week, until this Sunday when I started getting the slow speeds.
If I go down the route of buying a new wireless router do you have any suggestions?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hpares,
Glad to hear the speed's back to normal. I could only really recommend the router we supply and the fact that we fully support it. Alternatively I'm sure our forum folks here would be happy to give you a few ideas.
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Hi jojo did you get the pm i sent
hpares
Dabbler

Well after a bit of further investigation when I went to upgrade my firmware on the Netgear router it turns out its actually a DG834G not a DG834GT. It was sold to me as a DG834GT so I have always assumed it was one, the box is for a DG834GT too. The DG834G doesn't have a Broadcom chipset but the DG834GT does. So it appears my line only likes 'Broadcom' chipset routers, (I believe Thompson Speedtouch routers all use broadcom chipsets).
Not sure what is exactly better about broadcom chipsets but found this on wikipedia:
"Broadcom chipset offers superior compatibility over the Texas Instruments AR7 chipset (used in the DG834G) with ADSL2+ / LLU lines in the UK, partly due to power spectrum density (PSD) masks applied at the DSLAM."
So in future to avoid this problem I think I will only ever be buying Broadcom chipset routers as they are meant to be most compatible with BT's hardware in the exchanges.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You may be able to use the Netgear as a wireless access point, by connecting it to one of the ethernet ports on the SpeedTouch router, instead of to the phone line. Time for a spot of Googleing...  Smiley