cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slightly odd problem

Juvenal
Dabbler

Slightly odd problem

Over the last two-three weeks, my connection speed has been fluctuating wildly, ranging from the normal 6+Mbps to virtually nonexistent (even Plus.net and Google were timing out).
I don't think it's a contention issue - it seems independent of the time of day and at time of posting - 0545 on the morning of the 27th - it is clocking between 470 and 740 kbps, apparently at random.  I'd wager contention isn't a factor at such an ungodly hour.  Pings in CoD4 have gone from ~50ms to ~100ms for UK servers and are pushing 200ms to Blizzard's Paris servers (when the connection isn't just falling over).
My hardware hasn't changed in four months, during which time the connection speed has been stable at ~6Mbps so I'm pretty sure it isn't that.  Equally, none of the network drivers have been changed.
The only thing I can think of is that I live in Scotland and we've been having some rather rough weather of late.  Is anyone aware of high winds and moderate to heavy rain interfering with ADSL lines in this way and has anyone else in the Perth area been having similar issues?
5 REPLIES 5
ohforf
Dabbler

Re: Slightly odd problem

Been having exactly the same problems as you but I am in Leeds. We have been having some really bad weather over the last few days so maybe it is related.
mcgurka
Grafter

actually, as far as ping times go, ive had pings go from 57 all the way to 380 on voip, and its sporadic for me as well (354 at 10:15pm, 59 at 10:30pm?!)
Im glad im finally not the only one seeing this!
Teds31
Grafter

Hi I'm in Leeds and have the same problem ,speeds al over the place until today they are back up again.
Be3G
Grafter

Weather can certainly have an effect on things - underground cabling ducts can fill up with water, overhead telephone cables can get battered by wind and rain, and probably many other things besides - so broadband problems are quite common when there are adverse weather conditions.
oliverb
Grafter

What's your voice service like. I had a lot of trouble with broadband until eventually I observed noise in voice service and got it fixed as a voice fault.