cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight mystery on sync speed - any thoughts or comments anyone?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Slight mystery on sync speed - any thoughts or comments anyone?

Hello there,
First thing to say is I'm new to PN (2 days) but definitely NOT new to Broadband, IT & comms.
I've been on Max for about 3 months and moved to PN due to service issues at Tiscali.
My router (Netgear DG834GT) synchronised happily at 8128/448 all the time I was with Tiscali and my IP profile was 7150kbps, so when it worked properly (very rarely due to Tiscali issues re DataStream) it was fast.
When I switched to PN my router sync'ed at 7616/448 with an IP profile set at 6500. Not bad you may say, but hey I'm a perfectionist! A "passing comment" post I made (in another thread) did get commented on briefly by one of the PN staff to say something like there may have been a minor glitch at the time of the switch (2am Monday).

Since then I've restarted my router a couple of times (once after about an hour off) and it's the same. I've looked at the online help etc here and it doesn't (as far as I can see) explain too much about the process of how sync speeds change over time.
So is there anything I can do to affect this, or will it sort itself out "eventually"?
As a footnote, I have the DMT tool which I know can (though I haven't yet tried) be used to "tweak" the SNRM. Mine is currently 9.7dB and that's at the low end of what I see, it's usually over 10 and the section that shows errors is usually totally clean.
Could it be that BT have changed my SNRM settings from 6dB to 9dB (for whatever reason, maybe a good one) and that's it now?
Any thoughts or comments welcome.
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Slight mystery on sync speed - any thoughts or comments anyone?

Hiya,
Your line has interleaving on.  I'll get it removed and I reckon you'll see the full 8128Kbps tomorrow.
HPsauce
Pro

OK thanks very much James.
I think the earlier feedback (may have been you, maybe someone else) was that interleaving was NOT on.
Will BT automatically review the IP profile then or in 3 days?
I followed a link someone posted but it went into Connection Settings and there was no information there that I could see on how to check or influence interleaving. If there was I would have been happy to do it myself.
And the faster I go the more I download so the more "extraGB" I'm likely to buy.  Grin
(the way that all works was one of the reasons I chose PN, it's fair and open and suits me very well)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think the earlier feedback (may have been you, maybe someone else) was that interleaving was NOT on.

That was me here, as that's what the delta reports were showing.  I've just had another look and it's now showing as interleaved as James has said.

I've attached the delta reports we have below so you can see info we get on them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro

Thanks very much indeed.
Have to say I'm impressed by:
a) what you know - Tiscali support would never have admitted to knowing that level of detail, they even asked me to tell them my sync rates on several occasions when investigating my problems (which were all in their network >:().
b) Helpfulness. This is only a Forum query not a support request.  Cheesy
Is there anything odd about the fact that report shows my sync rate dropping from 8128 to 7392 whereas at my end it went from 8128 to 7616?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
There's not really anything too odd about the difference in sync speed.  Your router might be misreporting the data it's receiving, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Your IP Profile should increase 3 days after the sync speed rises.