cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight drop in throughput since Gateway or other maintanence completed

deathtrap
Grafter

Slight drop in throughput since Gateway or other maintanence completed

As of this morning when scheduled work was carried of on GW  (PTW-AG02). could this be due to the increased number of customers connected to  the GW that I'm on ? or is this recent change down to the traffic management work carried out today ? Because up till last night  my max throughput downstream was 9.1-2MB/s now only 9 MB/S As said it's a small drop in speed ,
But a small drop  in speed across the customer base  accumulates to a lot
I also notice that the nightly network jitter has returned at peak times , although not quite as severe as before,as yet , but it's once again visible on ping monitors, so to me someone got something wrong with load balancing  again or whatever is responsible for managing the plusnet network , so that we don't see this peak time issue keep repeating itself  no doubt throughput will start dropping off at peak times again soon, and will be the fault of anything  and everything other than  the plusnet side of things ,
4 REPLIES 4
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Slight drop in throughput since Gateway or other maintanence completed

The network is mostly kept in balance by the automated balancing system, however there are times where this doesn't achieve the desired effects, such as maintenance, unexpected issues/outages.
In all honesty, it's nothing to really complain about, unless you have a total loss of service, or your speed randomly drops to sub 1Mbps speeds.
From personal experience, the network is usually kept well balanced (I've seen it with my own eyes!)
Also, you'll realise that ADSL is rate adaptive.
Matt
deathtrap
Grafter

Oh I'm only too familiar with how ADSL works , But this isn't ADSL Its VDSL  FTTC  and i sync at the full rate 80/20
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's still rate adaptive though, and will adjust speeds dependent on errors and drops in connection.
With regard to the balancing, this is automated now rather than being manual but even so, when we drop an entire gateway (~30-40k people) it's not going to balance again immediately. I daresay that's the reason for the discrepancy, but I'm afraid rebalancing that many connections will never be instant.
As for the peak time stuff, I'd recommend worrying about that when we stop announcing our monthly bandwidth increases. Capacity is fine for the moment and we'll keep making sure that's the case.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Deathtrap:  Re peak time jitter: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115770.msg1014033.html#msg1014033
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager