Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype video / audio breaking up

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Skype video / audio breaking up

I don't make many calls but the last 3 or 4 video calls have started reasonably ok and then deteriorated to the extent that even switching to audio only does not result in acceptable quality.
My speeds seem good for me (13/1) even when checking them after skype is having problems. Might it be some kind of traffic issue?
Can anyone suggest where I might start trying to sort the problem?
I am using Win8 with the latest version of Skype with a wired connection to a technicolor router. These problems existed on the same machine with Win7 before I did a clean install of Win8
TIA PT
16 REPLIES 16
shure
Grafter

Re: Skype video / audio breaking up

I'd also be interested to know, as I'm having similar problems.  Can't seem to get a stable video link at the moment, only audio.  I'm on ADSL, using Win 7 with a wired connection to a Netgear router.  PC is brand new so know it's got decent enough specs to handle it.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

HI guys.
When are you making these calls?  Are you doing anything else on the internet at the same time?
Obviously this shouldn't be happening and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of it.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I'm not using the internet for anything else.
Interestingly though I have just tried on a win7 laptop using a wireless connection and that seems fine.
Retried on the desktop (to the same person) wired into the router and the quality on that is poor and skype is giving me yellow bars to indicate slow connection but the desktop gives me good speeds on broadband speed testers. Very confusing.
Kelly
Hero

What gateway are you connected to?  http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Do you think you could get us a wireshark capture?  http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/

Kelly Dorset
shure
Grafter

Hi Kelly,
Gateway:
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse North.
I'll have to read up on the wireshark capture.  I Skype at different times of day but it happens when I'm alone in the house and not using the internet for anything else
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

ptw-ag03
will look into wireshark but my prob would seem to be between skype and the router wouldn't it?
Kelly
Hero

I can't think of any reason for this to be happening on our network right now.  We've loads of capacity at this time, so even if our traffic management rules were going a bit rogue, there would be no reason to introduce latency or drop packets.   We've got no real latency or drops showing on those gateways at all.   A wireshark will be handy to see how it is identified at the moment, but I can't see that causing a problem.
I'm wondering if there might be an external problem here.  I'm having a search around
ooh handy: http://heartbeat.skype.com/
Kelly Dorset
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

done a wireshark (I think!) how do I get it to you? About 34Mb
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

There are two ends to a Skype conversation, perhaps the counter party has the issue and not you.
I had these issue when my daughter was in university halls and she was on a very busy network
Dan.
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: PhyllisTyne

Either upload it to a site like dropbox where I can get it, or create a ticket through the member centre, zip up the file and upload it to there.
Kelly Dorset
Strike
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Quote from: PhyllisTyne

Either upload it to a site like dropbox where I can get it, or create a ticket through the member centre, zip up the file and upload it to there.

Could you look at look at my thread when you get a chance Smiley  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111251.0.html
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

PM'd you with link to wireshark file
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Kelly's asked me to have a look at the Wireshark.
Is there anything else going on at the same time? The bulk of the capture looks like some kind of file transfer between 2 devices on your internal network, possibly dropbox, which is making it hard to see the Skype traffic in it. Do you know if you've anything set up like that?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Dropbox shouldn't have been doing anything.
I was running a skype video call between two devices on the same network (desktop and laptop) using different user accounts as that was the only way I could run a session at the time.
The only other device running is a microserver running WHS 2011 that seems to talk to other machines on the network when it feels like it.