cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky router

jackwelland
Dabbler

Sky router

I've read that the bt home hub can be configured to plusnet now my question is can a sky router also be used with plusnet.  is it locked or blocked or is it a case of the same procedure as with the bt home hub.
i will try it out  but i would like to know if there are any issues .
jack
adie:orange removed all caps title post as per link:rules
21 REPLIES 21
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Sky router

As far as I know the sky ones are locked to sky. You would need to find an unlocked firmware file, or how to unlock it.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

But you would also need to be careful that you don't brick the sky router when flashing them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Sky router is it ?
I used to buy 'Sky locked' (Netgear) DG834GT routers of eBay, then unlock them, then load either standard Netgear firmware or the enhanced DGTeam firmware.
I haven't done that for a while, but I don't remember the procedure as being particularly difficult or prone to failure.
The DG834GT works really well on Plusnet connections.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I did this unlocking thing with the DG834 and the router didn't work.  Perhaps I did it wrong ;/
jim:quote
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I guess you did, the netgear routers were very easy to unlock.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jackwelland
Dabbler

this is a sky sagemcom, if it is locked and, just for my edification, how is it unlocked. plus are there any risks that i should be aware of.
thanks lads
jack
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

google for the model and sky unlock, that should give you some pointers.
jackwelland
Dabbler

thanks H that was going to be my next move if no info is forthcoming from the forum.
jack
dick:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will almost certainly need to google for the required information, as unlocking nearly always involves loading some sort of downloaded firmware image into your router, then rebooting, and finally loading the required 'open' firmware from the manufacturers website.
It is very unlikely that it will be some magic key sequence, or hidden router web page,  so you probably won't get much more help on this forum.
You will need to be very careful to use the exact firmware(s) needed for the precise model of router you have - don't guess it !!.
jackwelland
Dabbler

after 20 minutes googling my enthusiasm is waning----at the moment it's over my head-----the home hub was relatively straight forward. i will make further inquiries around and about and go from there.
thanks to all for your input
jack
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a brief look, and thought it looked quite straightforward, just carefully following a number of simple steps.
I've seen MUCH worse, particularly some routers being converted to DD-WRT firmware.

I think the instructions you have seen online, looks like a daunting list of steps.
Have another read of those instructions, take them one at a time, and it should all become clear.

Good luck  Wink
jackwelland
Dabbler

i think that maybe the links i was looking at were rather old '09 '10.i'll do another search another time.
there were too many negatives in those links.
i've got an old dell on which to practice just in case things do go astray.
jack

dragon2611
Grafter

The Sagem ones can't be unlocked as far as I know, at least not the recent ones.
Even if you flash the custom firmware that exposes the PPP settings session it looks like whatever you enter in there gets overridden by the values Sky have hard-coded in the firmware.
They're not particularly good routers anyway so I doubt it's worth anyone's effort to unlock it fully.
jackwelland
Dabbler

i am still researching this question and have downloaded a pdf instruction on the subject.
also i have found out that sky may want the box returned or charge accordingly within six months of cancellation.
as this router belongs to my daughter who has now moved 200 miles away i am putting this configuration on hold for the time being.
i don't know what sky would charge-------- (£50-£80) maybe -----whatever it is is too much for her(my daughter) and it's far too much for a router that may not work when a new one is available for the same price.
thanks all
jack