Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Q network connection

enjaybennett
Hooked

Sky Q network connection

Hi

About 3 weeks ago I upgraded to Sky Q, everything worked ok for a couple of days then I kept losing the signal to my sky mini box. I spent a good 45 mins on the phone to Sky resetting everything but no joy so an engineer was called.

He spent an hour and a half here today but couldn't fix the problem, he stated that all the Sky equipment was working as it should but my PN router was not "talking" to my Sky Silver box, hence the network connection keeps dropping.

Anybody else having a similar problem? I'm wondering if the problem is the router?

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Sky Q network connection

Do you experience any problems with other devices connecting (Or dropping the connection) to your router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
enjaybennett
Hooked

Well, I have noticed on a few occasions recently that my iMac drops off the network every now and again and I have to reselect it. But everything else seems ok.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Before concluding that the router is at fault it may be worth trying out some of these tips to improve wireless signal.

Also, please could you confirm which router you're currently using. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
enjaybennett
Hooked

I have a Hub One

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

With the hub one, it may also be worth splitting off the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless channels as I'm aware that leaving these combined has had adverse effects on some people's wireless connections.

You can do this by logging in to the router at 192.168.1.254, going to advanced wireless settings and then selecting the tab for 5GHz.

You'll then need to select no for sync with 2.4GHz and rename the 5GHz channel (I just added 5 to the end of it on mine)

I hope that helps.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
enjaybennett
Hooked

HarryB

Will give it a try. 

Probably a stupid question but will I have to reconnect everything?

enjaybennett
Hooked

Sorry to sound like a thicky (but I am!) When on the page Sync with 2.4GHz Select No. Then what name am I changing??!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry, you'd be changing the wireless SSID on the 5GHz channel to be able to tell it apart from the 2.4GHz channel.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
enjaybennett
Hooked

Okay, get you now. Can I keep the same Wireless key or do I have to change that too? Is it worth switching all my devices to the 5GHz channel or do I keep some on 2.4 and some on 5?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not all devices will have the ability to connect to 5GHz, personally I connect to 5GHz when I can.

Generally speaking the 2.4GHz channel will have better range but the 5GHz will potentially have a better speed, but a shorter range. So in terms of worth switching your devices from one or the other, you'll probably be able to judge that better based off of that information.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
enjaybennett
Hooked

Thanks

I'll give it a try and post back in a couple of days or so to say if things have changed.

warobbo

Hi

any update on this as I have had sky q installed today and the broadband connection keeps dropping out continuously, only for a couple of seconds, but been unable to fix it and neither could the sky engineer?

thanks

enjaybennett
Hooked

Well, I tried exactly what was suggested above, some of my devices are on the 2.4GHz channel some on the 5. It may be purely coincidental but, touch wood, everything's been working fine since!

Nick

Sherressy

Was the screen just going black or did it go blue with the sky message please? As mine is also dropping in and out intermittently