cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky - Bt Infinity - Plusnet HELP

simoncmo

Sky - Bt Infinity - Plusnet HELP

I was with sky when the fibre box was turned on which is literally at the end of my driveway i was getting a rock steady 78mb with sky. I moved over to bt when my i decided to cancel my sky tv and the cost of my  broadband went up. From the moment i went live bt my speed dropped to 67mb on a very good day and there were days when it was so slow i could not even watch you tube. Bt could not explain what was going on and when ever an engineer came out they said i can see the you should be getting 79mb at your box but we cannot explain why you speed fluctuates so much as demonstrated on the btwholsale speed checker and why your profile is not set to the max speed possible for your line. after 8 months of pure hell with bt they agreed to let me leave my contract without penalty.
Having been with plusnet previously and for nearly 8 years with out problems i decided that i would give them another go after a long web chat with a lady called connie who explained to me that i would not have any of the problems i had with bt as they do not use there networks i placed my order to find out the next day with horror that they use bt networks and bt exchange equipment.
I decided to let the order progress and on the day of activation my bt line went off but my plusnet line did not come on after two phones calls i found out that plusnet had just not turned me on which he did whilst on the phone. Obviously each of these phones calls had an approx 15 or 20 min wait to speak to someone. After a short while everything started to work but my speeds were appalling for 76mb broadband i was getting on average 5mb i had to call plusnet again after another 20 min wait i was told that the person who swithced on my broadband had not done it properly and it could take upto 24 hours to reset its self.
Now i fully understand that there is a ten day settling period for for dslm to get use to my line but my speed still fluctuates wildley from 10mb upto 72mb the ip profile is set to 68mb so no where near the line maximum. I am so worried that i am going to have exactly the same problems with plusnet as i have with bt . Although plus net have said that they will look into it and i should be getting 79.8mb it will take about 5 days for them to do this and if they cant figure out what is going on then they will have to send out another engineer.
I dont want to go through all that again i just want the speed that my line is capable off like i was getting with sky for months with no problems at all is this too much to ask.

Simon
7 REPLIES 7
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Sky - Bt Infinity - Plusnet HELP

There are many parts between your PC and a speed-testing server, and you could be having problems with any or all of them. We need to break it down a little - so it helps to be clear what kind of speed you mean, and how you have been measuring it.
Are your speeds modem sync speeds or download speeds?
Are you testing with a wired connection, or wireless?
When you saw fluctuating speeds with BT, were the best speeds in off-peak hours and the worst in peak hours? Or random throughout the day? Same questions for you Plusnet connection.
Have you run any tests on the BT Wholesale speedtester? It would be helpful to see the result of that - including the "IP profile" value they give when you ask it to perform the further diagnostics: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
simoncmo

the speed test resuslts are from the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ site.
There is no specific pattern.
The computer is hard wired using cat 6a shielded network cable directly into the billion 7800n  router l use only high quality cables. The Open Reach router is also linked to the billion via a cat 6a shielded cable
I have disconnected all other items that are attached wireless to the router and also all other cabled attachments and run it for 24 hours like that to see if any of my equipment has any effect, the speed till fluctuates randomly.
when i was with sky using there router and the open reach white box i was getting speeds of between 76mb and 79mb via speedtest.net it never dropped below 76mb  nothing in my configuration has changed since then.
when i joined BT the fastest i ever got was 69mb and that was on a good day on average i was getting 26mb on a infinity 2 product. BT sent out three engineers who could not explain the speed changes. There were on a number of occasions when i could not even watch you tube.
Nothing has changed since moving to plusnet i have done several http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ speed test todays they range from 14.4mb upto 68.9mb.
My ip profile says 69.8 mb at the moment that does go up and down
When i joined plusnet i was told my line is capable of 79.5mb which is what i was getting with sky why cant it just go back to that speed ?

thanks
Simon
WWWombat
Grafter

Speedtest results will always be marginally below the IP profile value (or the Plusnet "current line speed", whichever is lower). The IP profile value is, in turn, always slightly lower than the modem sync speed.
Right now, your IP profile is set to 69.8, so your speedtests will be lower than this. That value suggests your sync speed will be 72Mbps, below the maximum of 80Mbps. There is nothing special about the Sky installation that could have made sync speeds faster than BT or Plusnet - so your line has indeed lost some speed from first installation; the question is *why* that sync speed is lower.
Note that it is possible for sync speeds to drop from first installation. DLM monitors the line's error rate, and can decide to take action at any time. If it does, we expect a drop of anything in the region of 10%-25%. In addition, as more subscribers get added to the cabinet, you can end up suffering from crosstalk (interference caused by the modems of the other subscribers); this crosstalk can reduce your speeds - and can do so significantly.
BUT these reductions should be pretty consistent across the day (and week), and leave you capable of getting speeds of 66Mbps most of the time. Speeds should not be random. As an example, my line generally maintains its full speed of around 73-74 Mbps at all hours, save the 7pm-10pm peak hours, when it drops to around 65-67Mbps. I've attached a graph that shows the average speeds for April so far (times are GMT, so the visible drop is actually 1900-2200)
Your reply suggests that the IP profile goes up and down, which equally suggests that you are getting disconnections regularly - which shouldn't happen. The modem should stay synced for weeks on end. Yet, from the looks of things, Openreach engineers have attended and been unable to fix things. That probably means they (and you) will have tried things such as replacing the cable between modem and the socket on the NTE5, removing the voice faceplate from the NTE-5, and even trying the test socket.
That probably means your problem is best dealt with by the PN "digital care team" staff when they get on here tomorrow.
In the meantime, there are some extra questions you could answer, and a couple of steps to try:
- When you say the IP profile varies, how much does the value vary? And how often does it change?
- Have you tried running via the test socket, using a microfilter, or unplugging the voice faceplate?
- Have you tried using a different Openreach modem at any time? Is this modem different from the one used for Sky?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
simoncmo

my latest speed test as you can see i am getting a blisteringly fast speed of 3mb down on a 79.5mb capable line
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We've got your Fault Ticket  and our Faults Team will be in touch very shortly.
simoncmo

WAITED IN FOR AN ENGINEER TO VISIT TODAY BETWEEN 1 AND SIX PHONED UP PLUS NET AT 17.15 AND THEY WERE UNDER THE BIZARRE ILLUSION THAT THE ENGINEER MIGHT POP IN ON HIS WAY BACK TO THE EXCHANGE  STIL NO ENGINEER NO SORRY FROM EITHER PARTY OPENREACH OR PLUSNET WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED FROM A COMPANY I HAVE NO BEEN ON HOLD TO PLUS NET DISCONNECTIONS DEPT FOR OVER AN HOUR AS SUPPORT COULD NOT HELP ME.
PLUS NET IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH YOU USE TO BE A FIRST RATE COMPANY NOW YOU JUST BLAME OTHER PEOPLE LIE TO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS TO GET THEM TO SIGN UP AND ONCE THEY HAVE SIGNED UP YOU DONT CARE.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm sorry to hear that the engineer hasn't attended, this will be investigated by our Faults Team and escalated within our suppliers.
I can see that the engineer had been booked and we were fully expected as you were, for an engineer to attend, I'm sorry this didn't happen. I can see that you've requested cancellation on your phone order to us - this has been cancelled and have requested your MAC Code, this will be with you within the next 5 working days.
If there is anything else we can help with in the mean time, please do let us know.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.