Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sinking profile/ speed

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sinking profile/ speed

Nothing spectacular and no obvious  reasons but  it seems to be sinking. I am on old HomeSurf package.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
52 REPLIES 52
James
Grafter

Re: Sinking profile/ speed

Hi Lucerne,
I'm really not seeing much of a way of a dramatic decrease in profile speed.  OK, so it has dropped from 5000Kbps to 4000Kbps in the last 10 days, but that's not overly dramatic.  I'd keep an eye on your synchronisation speeds and seeing if they seem to be on the downturn.
You're currently synchronising at 5856Kbps, which should result in a profile change to 5000Kbps in the next 3 days if you maintain those speeds.
Luzern
Hero

Just when I'll be away, he;ping my son to move house.
I think I have been up to 5500 before, so was wondering if the gradual ( apparent) decline could be to do with anything, that I could look out for.
Thanks for advice
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Yes, you were on a 5500Kbps back on the 15th.  This downturn in speed could be caused by partially faulty filtering, additional noise on the line (which you can't really do anything about unfortunately).
I'd start with the standard checks of swapping filters, ensuring that you're connected to the master socket and that you have all of your telephone sockets filterewd with all other telephony devices detached.  Then see if there is any change in synchronisation speed.
Luzern
Hero

I think I'd need about 8 to 10meters of cable to reach the master socket, whereas the as the stone drops distance between the master and the wired in slave is just that - as the stone drops. Won't that go against seeing any improvement?
I'll try disconnecting the phone first. Any recommendation for first quality filters out there?
James
Grafter

Are you using a modem or a router?  If it's a router, the quality of ethernet cable is vastly superior to aluminium/copper extension cabling and would see considerably less signal loss.
Generally filtered faceplates are the way forweards, but I don't know of any specific brands/manufacturers, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

XTE-2005 Filtered Faceplate or the previous version NTE-2005 Filtered Faceplate if you can't wait for the first or its out of stock.
XF-1e ADSL microfilter.
All are very high quality.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: James
Are you using a modem or a router?  If it's a router, the quality of ethernet cable is vastly superior to aluminium/copper extension cabling and would see considerably less signal loss.
Generally filtered faceplates are the way forweards, but I don't know of any specific brands/manufacturers, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out.
Modem: Binatone ADSL500. Excuse my ignorance, but when you mention ethernet cable, I'm confused. I thought ehternet implied wireless. I have only the one computer Smiley When you mention faceplates do you mean for where the computer is located (upstairs) or on the main socket, where line comes in to house?
James
Grafter

Ethernet is actually a type of cable you can use to connect a router to your computer.  If you're using a USB modem, this isn't applicable.
When I say filtered faceplate, I mean a faceplate you can attach to your telephone socket instead of using a microfilter.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: James
Ethernet is actually a type of cable you can use to connect a router to your computer.  If you're using a USB modem, this isn't applicable.
When I say filtered faceplate, I mean a faceplate you can attach to your telephone socket instead of using a microfilter.
Do I presume the main one and not the wired extension to which the computer is attached? Sorry to be so dense.
Would going over to a router improve matters come what may?
Luzern
Hero

Thanks but as it happens the only place I can have the computer is by the extension, so it would have to be the extension that received the face plate and that would minimise the benefit. Correct?
James
Grafter

Using an extension lead will increase the amount of signal loss and your problem may never improve.  It could well be a poor quality extension cable.  Have you considered changing the cable or even going down the lines of a router?
Luzern
Hero

The extension is actually hard wired and comes up through the cavity and is directly above the main socket. Can't tell but provably was a pro job. I think I'll take the easy option first and raid the piggy bank for a new filters.
BTW synching at 5920 this morning. Will be off line shortly until late Sat
Luzern
Hero

I remembered that I had posted in the old forumline stats that appled before my upgrade to Max nad then did a similar exercise today. Here is the comparison. Readings are down/up in all cases. Pre upgrade are blue, post upgrade  arered
SNR Margin
29.8dB / 29.0dB
  9.2dB / 25dB
Errored Seconds
0 / 0                 
42/2

Data rate
1152kbps / 288kbps      
5920/448 kbps
The SNR ratio is vastly different from pre upgrade as are erroed seconds, Does Max work on reduced margins, and is the variation shown here outside the expected parameters and thus a pointer to a generally noisier line, so rendering any solution in my hands not on?
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: PJ
The target SNR for most MaxDSL lines in 6dB- this is intentional and MaxDSL is reliant on this in order to deliver the higher speeds.
In your case it appears that your target SNR is set to 9dB. If your connection proves to be stable over a period of time you could raise a ticket with PN to ask BT to lower this to 6dB.
The good news at the moment is that your sync rate seems to be back up to previous levels based on what has been said in this thread.
Have you considered trying a router as these are often better at holding the line than USB modems.
Using wireless and locating your router by the master socket (with a filtered faceplate) might also bring benefits.

Today the synch is still around 5820 + bit speeds are around 3750. How long needs to elapse before I ought to raise a ticket?
BTW I  have found out that work has been going om at my exchange to enable Sky/Easinet and that was done on 29/8. Could that have an indirect effect on me?
Don't worry with what I read of Sky BB- no way, Jose!