cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous logins - security issue?

grahamt
Rising Star

Simultaneous logins - security issue?

I've currently got a problem with my line, so today I switched to a spare router to eliminate the possibility of equipment interference before raising a fault ticket.
After I switched on the spare router I did a speed test and was surprised to see I was getting 46mb/s downstream on my 40/20 FTTC connection. Nice, but odd. A bit later I found out why. I was logged into Plusnet using a friend's ID.
This was just a mistake - I'd taken the router to his house when he was having problems some months ago and had forgotten to change the settings back afterwards. He's got an 80/20 connection, which explains, I think, why I was getting the faster speed. The new 40/20 package is provisioned as 80/20 and limited by Plusnet (clearly based on my ID) to 40 downstream.
All very interesting, but is there a security problem here? My friend's connection was up at the same time as when I was impersonating him. Should simultaneous connections, from different IP addresses, on a single ID be allowed?
Graham
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Simultaneous logins - security issue?

Hi Graham,
All very interesting, but is there a security problem here? My friend's connection was up at the same time as when I was impersonating him. Should simultaneous connections, from different IP addresses, on a single ID be allowed?

It's possible that both of you could connect simultaneously on the same login, however only the first one to connect would be served an IP and hence be able to transfer data over the connection.
I can't see that it would be a security issue but connecting with another PN customer's router or login (I mention router as we link serial numbers to accounts for automated setup) could only lead to some confusion.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

That doesn't sound right, Adam. I doubt whether my friend is in the habit of turning his router off (it's not in the same room as any of the PCs in his house, and there are several household members that use the connection throughout the day) so logically I was the second connection when I logged on using his ID. Yet I know I was receiving data - otherwise the speedtest wouldn't have worked for me. And I could definitely see an IP address being assigned in the router's log.
Could it be that you got it the wrong way round and the second connection trumps the first one?
I absolutely agree that it's not a good idea to connect using someone else's ID. I wouldn't have done it deliberately and I've now replaced the connection settings with my own.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I must admit, I thought simultaneous connections were possible, UNLESS your account had a static IP. I'm sure we've seen occasional situations like yours where a router has been borrowed or lent, the account details not changed, and it connected fine and I'd be pretty sure the 'home' connection for the router would have been active as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are not on static IP, I think both will get a connection, but of course all usage will go to the one account.
If you are on static IP I think both will get a connection but chaos ensues with both lines becoming pretty much unusable with the routing of incoming packets being 'interesting'!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
grahamt
Rising Star

Fortunately, my mate doesn't have a static IP and is on an unlimited usage package (not that I used very much in the short period when I was unwittingly impersonating him).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure if both will get a connection with a static IP. In the 'old' days of dial up it was possible to add a second CID number to an account, to allow use from somewhere else, say a holiday home perhaps... If this was performed then the account automatically changed to static IP, to prevent the account being used from 2 places simultaneously. I'd always assumed that the same check would occur on a Broadband account and that it would reject the 2nd connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On the old dial up I don't think it actually blocked the second connection when on a fixed IP, it just made it totally unusable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Only one person can connect with the Static IP, however if the account has a Dynamic IP, both customers would be given an IP but the connection would be pretty dire, this pretty much covers why:
Quote from: jelv
If you are not on static IP, I think both will get a connection, but of course all usage will go to the one account.
If you are on static IP I think both will get a connection but chaos ensues with both lines becoming pretty much unusable with the routing of incoming packets being 'interesting'!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Now I'm really confused Huh
Surely it will work fine with a dynamic IP since both customers are given different IP's, and that fits with grahamt's observations.
With a static IP then ONLY if the 2nd connection is accepted and given the same IP would the results be dire and according to you Chris, the connection would not be allowed.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, I'll re-phrase and try not to confuse everyone in the process Wink
Multiple people can connect with a Static IP, however, only one of the connections will will receive responses from the gateway. The other connection won't really be able to do anything as the traffic is serving the other connection (If you see what I mean).
If you've got a Dynamic IP, you can use the connection as normal (so please ignore the latter part of my last response), however this isn't something that should be done.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Now, that makes sense Chris Smiley

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Heh - me and my confused head  Crazy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're excused Smiley  There seems to be lots of work on the forums for you guy's at the moment, and you do a great job.

dragon2611
Grafter

Multiple people can connect with a Static IP, however, only one of the connections will will receive responses from the gateway. The other connection won't really be able to do anything as the traffic is serving the other connection (If you see what I mean).

Interesting, I would have assumed it would throw back to multilink denied error as it does if it thinks you are already connected when you reconnect.
Admittedly I didn't have multiple lines to test with.