cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Simple' VPN and choice of Router....Billion 7800DXL OK?

Routefinder
Grafter

'Simple' VPN and choice of Router....Billion 7800DXL OK?

Hi All
I was unsure how to title this OP but here goes.
After my other post re the DSL-N66U the suppliers sales team has suggested the Billion 7800DXL would be a good though that tad more expensive choice but I have question in regard to VPN support?
The DSL-N66U supports the PPTP Pass-Through (as far as I know that is how my company laptop links as it was all setup a while ago within the Windows XP OS) and with my current (old) Netgear DG834G v4 I never had to make settings changes to it for VPN link to my companies system but on the Billion 7800DXL I cannot identify that it allows such PPTP Pass-Through links???  Now does it do so as "a given" and hence they saw no point in so specifying or will it require tweaking to allow the connection???
TIA for the (user) insight and feedback before I commit to buying what looks like a very good ADSL/FTTC Router Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
Stanman24
Grafter

Re: 'Simple' VPN and choice of Router....Billion 7800DXL OK?

7800N is a good router for vpn
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This chart suggests that PPTP Passthrough is supported.  I think it's now very rare that this isn't a feature...
Stanman24
Grafter

Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks both Smiley
@ pwatson ~ the chart you link to does in that regard say more than the manual that all the 'standard' pass through's are catered for but the DXL has not VPN servers which are not on my list of reqs and at this stage or the future I cannot see a need for unless anyone can suggest logic of SoHo user requiring that functionality.  The manual has lots to say about setting up VPN so in that aspect not clear if the like the current Netgear the pass through is "just there" ready to use???  NB The Asus lists that it has a PPTP server!
The DXL certainly does seem to get good reviews and is mighty configurable compared to the 'basic & advanced' setup within the newer Netgear such as the DGND4000.
Oh, all the models on that chart say they share the same Broadcom chipset............which on the face of it is good surely not the same but my DG834Gv4 is Broadcom!  Now info on the Asus and whether that was why it was not functional stable with my exchange???
Routefinder
Grafter

Just for the record ~ Googling shows a few reports of WiFi issues with the DXL...............though a few do not on the face of it make a major 'fault'......do they;)
Edit ~ found this note on the release notes for the newest FW v 2.32c "10. Workaround for WLAN issue ‐‐ WiFi devices can't be reconnected after a period." though it seems the new FW did solve this guys problems???
sotonskyblue
Grafter

New firmware is fine and yes DXL is a great bit of kit. 
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: sotonskyblue
New firmware is fine and yes DXL is a great bit of kit. 

Many thanks for the insight  8)............................ordered and on the way today Cheesy  Though sounds like I should check the FW version and update if not the most current before I get into the personal configuration of it???