cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly cause of slow update speeds on Asus RT-N56U / FTTC (Fiber)

TomJasper
Dabbler

Silly cause of slow update speeds on Asus RT-N56U / FTTC (Fiber)

Fellow users
Since moving to an FTTC solution, and declining the standard Router offering in favour of a the excellent (like seriously excellent) Asus wireless router which I've been using for a long while, I was perturbed by 1.5Mbps upload speed to counter my amazing 59 Mbps to 70 Mbps upload speeds. When I mentioned it to support they suggested letting the line settle and, with other things on my plate, I left it like that (I didn't want to create any disconnects and upset my profile)..
Last night I worked through the settings on the router once again and realised that to enable QoS, I had previously set an upload speed manually... Changing that I now see a 16Mbps > 17Mbps upload speed.
I thought I'd share  on the off chance that someone searching for the same problem could learn from my oversight.
QoS settings are found in Advance / WAN.
Cheers, Tom
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Silly cause of slow update speeds on Asus RT-N56U / FTTC (Fiber)

A good post in case anyone else has this issue, I can't imagine why a router might have such restrictive QOS straight out of the box though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: TomJasper
I had previously set an upload speed manually...

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I can't imagine why a router might have such restrictive QOS straight out of the box though.

/bonk
Of course QoS needs to be told the "size of the pipe" to calculate the QoS queue sizes, and I assume that you (Tom) had originally configured it when you were on ADSL2+?
Good spot, though. 
B.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I agree that this is an excellent router. I bought mine to replace the Plusnet supplied Technicolor router to make my fibre speeds increase. This is the advice on QoS directly from my Asus router.
"Note:
    QoS can be enabled only when you set the uplink speed manually.
    We recommend that you set the uplink speed higher than the bandwidth that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has provided.
Measured uplink speed: 1685.22 Kb/s
Manual uplink speed: Kb/s 104875 Kb/s "