Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant difference between IP profile and measured attainable VDSL speeds

dbrb2
Dabbler

Significant difference between IP profile and measured attainable VDSL speeds

Hi,
I'm on FTTC
My upload and downloads are rock solid - however they arr rock solid at 50Mbps down and 18Mbps up whenever I test them (to within 1Mbps, measured from a wired connection with no other network use)
This is fine if it is what the line can support - but is lower than I was expecting. The BT line check says my line profile is currently 76Mbps
How can I find out whether the speeds I am seeing are simply what the line can support (in which case fine), or down to a misconfiguration that can be tweaked?
The fact that my speeds are so consistent (albeit lower than expected) makes me a bit suspicious that there may be some kind of artificial limit in place, but my suspicions could be misplaced!
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Significant difference between IP profile and measured attainable VDSL speeds

Hi dbrb2,
Would you be able to PM me your account username please and I'll take a look at things for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Significant difference between IP profile and measured attainable VDSL speeds

Thanks for the PM.
I've checked your line and your modem is connecting to your FTTC Cabinet at full speeds (80/20). Your Speed Profiles are all up to date and look fine to me.
If you're seeing slowdowns, would you be able to do Speed Tests whilst connected via a direct PPPoE connection?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
dbrb2
Dabbler

Cheers I'll try that
Can you see what speeds the modem is actually synching at, or is that not possible on the VDSL service?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - I can see what you're in 'Sync' at, so the speeds that your Modem is connecting at your property at from the Fibre Cabinet, which is the full 80/20.
dbrb2
Dabbler

Ah OK
I won't be able to check the PPoE immediately, but will try in the next day or so
When I do this, I won't be able to keep it like that for long. What would you like tested to acertain if there is a problem or not?
I know there can be variability in speedtest results - is there one which you would advise for testing? Anything else worth checking at the
same time?

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you could connect via PPPoE directly to the Modem and just run a Speed Test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics'. Once you've done that, if you could pop us a screenshot of the results on here, you can then reconnect everything back the way it is again - I'm hoping it shouldn't take much longer than 10-15 mins.