cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up to Plusnet, but still cancellation period with other ISP,

scipio1st
Grafter

Signed up to Plusnet, but still cancellation period with other ISP,

Hi guys. Just come from first AOL (4 year veteran) to Viring.net, found out how bad ping can get, then flitted here. Problem is that i have signed up to Plusnet, however the DSL from virgin will not be cancelled until the 17th. How do you think this will affect this one? Just a delay or a complete deletion of my order?
Thanks,
19 REPLIES 19
scipio1st
Grafter

Re: Signed up to Plusnet, but still cancellation period with other ISP,

I was with Virgin.net DSL for only 9 days, but because of the poor performance I phoned and cancelled; they said it would finished its cancellation period on the 17th. This means I am not paying them anything anyway.
As for the MAC code, they say it will cost me £50 to retrieve it.
Thanks.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It depends on the terms of the contract you signed up for.
By OFCOM legislation, Virgin are unable to refuse to generate a MAC code based on current or potential debt.  They can however, hold you to the £50 cancellation charge unless you can prove negligence in their ability to provide the advertised service.
So basically, you can get a MAC Code from them but you probably will have to pay the £50.  What sort of contract are you on?  Is it monthly or annual?
scipio1st
Grafter

It was a cooling off period that is why i was not fined or anything drastic like that.
scipio1st
Grafter

I was not under contract yet, but I believe the contract was a 12 month one.
Thanks
Btw this one to one communication with your customers is fantastic, never found this with AOL or virgin!
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If there is a cooling off period, it shouldn't make any difference whether they generate a MAC Code or instigate a cancellation.
I'm guessing you're receiving your Virgin service via a BT telephone line.  If so, it's actually really, really easy for them to generate a MAC Code.  It takes about 30 seconds and costs them nothing.
Have you had a chance to read the terms and conditions and see what applies to MAC Code requests?
scipio1st
Grafter

I have just read the terms and conditions, a bead of sweat gathered on my forehead. So i phoned them and apparently because they knew about the connection difficulties I was 'wavered', so I was not charged for anything. In the contract it mentions once the service was active that I would not be able to cancel without charges, but apparently I was let off.
As the cancellation is in 4 days I can wait without the MAC code really. It is just down to Plusnet to either delay the activation or process it while this one is being cancelled so I can get back online fastish.
Do you think i would get it before xmas? Calling it short I know, just wondering.
James
Grafter

We might just miss out.  If your line is due to be cancelled on the 18th, the erarliest that we would be able to provide you with an active service would be the 27th as the orders take 5 working days to complete.
scipio1st
Grafter

That would be the best deal I can get considering the circumstances. Now onto ordering Assassins Creed. Does that come before or after the activation?
Thanks again for the time you are putting in to help with my queries.
James
Grafter

I'm only doing my job Smiley
With the free game offer, these should be received within 28 days of your service going live, so it might be a bit late for a Christmas present I'm afraid Sad
You'll need to follow the instructions on this page.
scipio1st
Grafter

That would be fine, it is only an afterthought to what i signed up for.
Just one last question, I promise. The Wireless Router that comes free with the PRO package if you sign up for 12 months, is it compatible with Xbox 360 live? Tested? If not its not really a big deal, but would be a good thing to know in advance.
Thanks, oh and if this is what doing your job is as a CS, then both AOL and Virgin.net CS should roast in a stu pot and then be 'fired' Cheesy
James
Grafter

Hi,
Basically any router that supports ethernet and DSL in the UK will be perfectly fine for XBOX Live.  I've used XBOX Live with no difficulties on a BT HG1800G as well as a Netgear DG834G and I know that there are no problems with the compatibility of a BT Voyager 2110.
scipio1st
Grafter

All right, that sounds great!
Thanks for the help, this (the replies) has really shown me the beginnings of a great service!
scipio1st
Grafter

This is the last of the last questions.
I was just looking at the phone upgrade and was wondering whether to get it or not. Right now we are paying BT about £12.50 a month, and carphone warehouse about £9 a month in phone calls. How would your offer be different and how do I go about switching? Do Plusnet sort it all out or do I have to actively cancel with the other two?
James
Grafter

We woulod actully sort it all out for you.
The difference is that our package includes line rental, whereas it sounds like you are currently paying CPW for calls and BTR for line retail.