Did you mean: 

Signature Limits

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Signature Limits

Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Jelv
jelv
I think personal opinions should be banned in signatures
Which market is your exchange in? Find out here.

LoL
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: poppy

It is total overkill and entirely unnecessary!
Angry

Poppy, I have to agree with you 100%.  I think all signatures should be checked out and ones that don't comply should be removed.
Not applicable

Chilly - I already have the boxes to which you refer ticked but still have to read whether someone agrees with 18 month contracts, is about to leave PN, on this or that product or likes to go hang-gliding!
The replies are ever-changing and are of interest to me but the rest is just plain boring!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Looks like your preference's are not working, I have just ticked the box and can no longer see signatures. Try unticking it save, retick and save again,
I do agree that the large font red letters are annoying.
Heloman
Grafter

Agree with jelv that personal opinions should be banned in signatures.
There also seems to be a contest to make the the most eye-catching/colourful/animated sig. Total nonsense!
The_10th
Grafter

Why not ban signatures and avatars too - in fact anything that expresses a person's likes/dislikes.  Grin
zubel
Community Veteran

My opinion is that if a signature doesn't contravene the rules, then it's fine..
There is a grey area where a sig may contravene the spirit of the rules, in which case a discussion with the relevant poster via PM would be my preferred route.
There are a lot of opinions that people feel that they need to raise awareness of, and I'm fine with that as long as the rules are followed.
B.
Not applicable

Threads in forums are discussions/debates. If someone was having the same or similar conversation with another face to face or over the telephone, it is unlikely that they would express an opinion on the same theme after each sentence or phrase.
I rest my case!
Lips_are_sealed
Spider
Grafter

Although true poppy, I would add that you would be unlikely to start a sentence or phrase with ' Reply #38 on Today at 07:40'. I agree their should be rules on size, etc but I think signatures should remain. If people don't want to see signatures or avatars for that matter they should block them through their profile.
[Edit:  I do think the Forum Rules should be updated so give a maximum font height as well as having the size rule]
Not applicable

Have no objection whatsoever to avatars and small, discrete signatures, which are, in some instances, useful. For instance The 10th has a small signature displaying his package with PN. This might have been useful to someone who wanted to know about this product. Some of them I actually enjoy - particularly Pierre's with his little humorous ones.
My own is just to display the Force 9  brand as this will diminish over time and for some people might be of interest if they did not know the history of PN.
However, these examples are hardly headline grabbing as some we have recently been subjected to.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

But doesn't Pierre's break the rules? It's sometimes hard to see his message amongst all the pics Smiley
avalon
Grafter

I've altered mine again as I'm less unhappy than I was.  It should be within the 4 lines limit. Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

looks like I will have to find another caped crusader then Cry
mal0z
Grafter

But Piere - on my screen your one line message with an Avatar and sig line image is 8cm high,
A message with an Avatar but no sig line image is about 7.5cm,
A one line message with no Atatar or sig line image is 5cm.
So are we going to have a limit on Avatar image size too ?  Wink